I have a question about the timeline of the setting

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
travelnjones

I have a question about the timeline of the setting

Post by travelnjones »

Will there be an update to the timeline of the setting. While most of the timeline is pretty nebulous in Dark Conspiracy the tech is looking pretty dated now. Is there any plan to updated the setting or have it remain as is.

I am sort of on the fence about this, while I have a certain nostalgia for a lot of games many of the later 80's/ early 90's products are looking pretty dated. I was looking through the general living section of DarkTech the other night and boy they were right. We are already there or better on all of the products. Not to mention the changes the internet has introduced.

Another aspect of dark conspiracy that doesnt seem to make much since is the retrotech. While cool for adding flare i just cant see why they would waste so much steel and gas on a car. Perhaps retrotech could be upped to the 80's era. Those awful dodge reliant K cars seem a lot more resource conserving.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Howdy,

We won't be having a timeline as such. Rather we are saying - It is the near future and X, Y & Z has occurred.

There will definitely be an update to the look and feel to the products and equipment in the game and even a bit of predictive imaginings (Blu-ray - that old hat compared to the Red-Flare format!)

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
travelnjones

cool

Post by travelnjones »

Though in the near future all media will be held on a remote device sort of like the iphone. You will be able to connect directly to a tv and playback anything you want. Audio/video/game/text/everything. There will be no physical media but rather external display devices. Entire video stores will fit in your pocket. Ink will move on printed pages to be any book you want it to be.

Sorry thats me being goofy but i would like to see some updated guns for the system. The FN SCAR and various new guns that appeared form ceasing publication to now.
Linden
Darkling

Re: cool

Post by Linden »

travelnjones wrote:Though in the near future all media will be held on a remote device sort of like the iphone. You will be able to connect directly to a tv and playback anything you want. Audio/video/game/text/everything. There will be no physical media but rather external display devices. Entire video stores will fit in your pocket. Ink will move on printed pages to be any book you want it to be.

Sorry thats me being goofy but i would like to see some updated guns for the system. The FN SCAR and various new guns that appeared form ceasing publication to now.
That's the trouble with predicting the future. To a large extent it's a mug's game. Even William Gibson missed the mobile phone.

Me, I'm still waiting for flying cars and jet packs, not to mention cheap, clean nuclear power providing free electricity for all.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I am not a prophet but I don't believe that the changes in a near future will be too dramatic. I am quite certain that there will be printed books and newspapers rather than only digital ones. I agree with Linden. If you want to see flying cars, you have to watch reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard.
The brilliant thing about DC is that you can always run it the way you like and it sill works perfectly. I never liked the DC electronics and always used either Real Life ™ stuff or things from the Chromebooks. I do agree that most of the DC stuff is very outdated and that the car prices for example seem to have no connection what so ever to the rest of game. When it comes to that weapons thing you can be sure that Master Lee has some nice surprises ready for us. At least that’s what I learned from his cryptic hints. In am not always so sure how the future development will go. Let’s not forget the G-11/caseless ammo hype in the 90ies…I also like to equip players and NPCs with dated guns from questionable sources.
travelnjones

Well really im just describing my hacked xbox

Post by travelnjones »

I am sort of just describing my hacked xbox shrunk down to fit in my pocket or an iphone with loads of storage. Pretty amazing things you can do with the media center computer design.

i loved that G11 thing it looked so neat, but your right ak47 is what you really need
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:I also like to equip players and NPCs with dated guns from questionable sources.
Me too. Mostly East European stuff.

Nice new avatar by the way. Russian beer, or something a bit stronger?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Well really im just describing my hacked xbox

Post by Morthrai »

travelnjones wrote:i loved that G11 thing it looked so neat, but your right ak47 is what you really need
There have indeed been a few alterations to the weapons and equipment lsitings that are scheduled for the new edition, but I agree entirely with your opinion :D Given the way the world is in DC, there are a great many secondhand military surplus weapons in circulation on both the open market and the black market. Nothing fancy but they work just fine!
I once saw a TV documentary about South Africa's elite police units, and they were called to deal with a cache of weapons left over from the civil war in Angola. One of the officers explained that they had to deal with these weapons to stop them falling into criminal hands, and showed why they were so dangerous. This involved him unwrapping an AK that had been buried in a riverbed for 17 years in a blanket, oiling the action, and emptying a full clip on auto...and he didn't even have to field strip the AK :shock:
There's also the Samuel L Jackson quote from Jackie Brown: "AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mo********er in the room, accept no substitutes."
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

@ travelnjone: That's way better than the 1kg cell phones form the Dark Tec book. :wink: The communication devices we use in our campaign are simmilar to yours. The players frequently surprise me with the amount of ways such a communication device can be used and misused. 8) My darklings must invest almost as much in electronic countermeasures as in empatic defence.

@ Linden: Eastern European weapons are classics. And yes it's beer, I thought it was about time for the animal themed beer month. Therefore I have the Polar Bear avatar :roll: As for the Unlimited Energy, you might like this one here: Energy Towers.

@Lee: Any news concearning the release of DC3?
Last edited by Zvezda on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Руки Вверх!
travelnjones

Post by travelnjones »

[quote="Zvezda"]@ travelnjone: That's way better than the 1kg cell phones form the Dark Tec book. :wink: The communication devices we use in our campaign are simmilar to yours. The players frequently surprise me with the amount of ways such a communication device can be used and misused. 8) My darklings must invest almost as much in electronic countermeasures as in empatic defence. quote]

you know that brings up a good point. with stuff like bit torrent floating around there could be minion hunter bibles floating around. A massed information one everything people know about the Dark Ones. I would say it could all be on wikipedia but the dark minions would probably suppress it. but files being added to file sharing could allow resistance groups to communicate and share information.

That is sort of both dangerous and fantastic for the GM. It would suck if players get too much info but also you could use stuff like youtube for adventure hooks
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

travelnjones wrote:
you know that brings up a good point. with stuff like bit torrent floating around there could be minion hunter bibles floating around. A massed information one everything people know about the Dark Ones. I would say it could all be on wikipedia but the dark minions would probably suppress it. but files being added to file sharing could allow resistance groups to communicate and share information.

That is sort of both dangerous and fantastic for the GM. It would suck if players get too much info but also you could use stuff like youtube for adventure hooks
Interesting idea. My pc's have done something similar. Set up a website asking people to send them information about strange occurences. They have to sift through a lot of irrelevant stuff and a fair bit of "green crayon" material but as you say it's a good way to introduce adventure hooks. Of course it might also attract the attention of the bad guys, in fact it's a certainty, but that's an adventure in itself. I was thinking it might make a good lead in to the "Action/Reaction" adventure that was in Challenge magazine a long time ago.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Exactly, the possibilities are almost endless. Even in tactical situations advanced electronics can give the GM a hard time. The vidphones also make good surveillance cameras. Your phone you can scout rooms and upload what you see to the net in real time. You can also send your phone into dangerous places :wink: before you enter them yourself.
Руки Вверх!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Zvezda wrote:@Lee: Any news concearning the release of DC3?
Sorry but I don't have anything by the way of news :? Anyway Marcus is in charge of all that stuff, I'm just more or less a consultant cos I know so much stuff! 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Thanks anyways.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Zvezda wrote:...When it comes to that weapons thing you can be sure that Master Lee has some nice surprises ready for us. At least that’s what I learned from his cryptic hints. In am not always so sure how the future development will go. Let’s not forget the G-11/caseless ammo hype in the 90ies…I also like to equip players and NPCs with dated guns from questionable sources.
As something of an update, caseless ammunition hasn't been forgotten and despite what a number of people on various cyberpunk type game websites claimed in the past, the high cost of changing over to a different ammunition was not the reason for the G11 being abandoned. If you follow that logic, we would never have changed from 7.62mmN to 5.56mm... or from .303 to 7.62mmN
The reunification of East & West Germany showed that the Cold War was no longer the threat it used to be and the national need for the G11 was downgraded. Funds set aside for its purchase were used to assist reunification costs.

Nowadays, the US military is looking again at caseless ammo as a way to improve soldier efficiency and there were a few articles on some military discussion sites regarding this but I can't for the life of me remember what sites they were. And it shouldn't be forgotten that the Austrian company Voere has been making a caseless ammo hunting rifle for the last decade or so and it has sold reasonably well in Europe but more so in the USA.

If I can find those websites again, I'll post the links here.
Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...