Weapons

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Sicari

Weapons

Post by Sicari »

Here is a topic that was always near and dear to my players hearts, new weapons.

While stormguns were nice. Items like coilguns are much more interesting. http://www.coilgun.ru/
So, my question is, with a presumedly advanced timeline. What type of new toys will the boys and girls be getting?
Will such items be linked to organizations such as governments? will it be a function of contacts?

The question right after this one of course is. What about new equipment? and of course is it going to be rated as common, rare, scarce etc.?

or are we going to be staying away from the more destructive types of weaponry?
In a crisis the Creed "woman and children first" is a matter of SPECIES survival. Not one of courtesy.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

So, my question is, with a presumedly advanced timeline. What type of new toys will the boys and girls be getting?
Will such items be linked to organizations such as governments? will it be a function of contacts?
Oh yes, in my first playtest I made sure that the players, who were playing US Army soldiers, got to play with 2010-era Objective Force Warrior equipment - including the XM8 Future Combat Rifle / Lightweight Assault Rifle and Type IV (Armor Piercing Rifle) Vests (see http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/oicw.htm for more information on the Objective Force Warrior developments).

Basically, I see the need to advance the weapon technology to today's and tomorrow's standards, while keeping many of the old favourites around. I think we should keep way from the big bopper weapons at this point (at least in the core rules) and perhaps create a few generic entries for players who aren't into gun collecting.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Sicari

WEAPONS

Post by Sicari »

Does this mean that the armor/resistance etc of certain types of monsters will become more resistant? or that the DM will have to carefully watch the availability of said weapons?

I would then also assume that body armor and its kin will also advance.

"Basically, I see the need to advance the weapon technology to today's and tomorrow's standards, while keeping many of the old favourites around. I think we should keep way from the big bopper weapons at this point (at least in the core rules) and perhaps create a few generic entries for players who aren't into gun collecting. "

Will the initial modules introduce these items?
In a crisis the Creed "woman and children first" is a matter of SPECIES survival. Not one of courtesy.
TMM

Post by TMM »

Considering that the first version of DC was spawned from the same rules that were used for Twilight 2000, it was not surprising that many of the weapons and devices there found their way into the original rules. Having been a GM for T2K, I had access to their equipment and arms guides, which gave me a virtually unlimited selection of deadly toys...yum.

With DC, though, the group(s) I was in played a little more of a gritty, street-level type of game (with very little cash to spread around). Some of these weapons were little more than a dream - something to aspire toward locating. Most of what was encountered was commonly available gear, with the occasional oddity thrown in...and those were usually traded off to a contact for future favors. Our GM at the time had a special love for a somewhat suffocating police presence that made it difficult to carry anything heavier than a concealed subgun.

I did like the fact that they had it set up that bows could be carried for personal defense. It was quirky and different, but also allowed for a couple of characters I would not otherwise have used.
Sicari

weapons and availability

Post by Sicari »

The game that i ran was generally supported by a sponsor. A very rich sponsor or as they later discovered a government backed one. Thus as the need arose. They on occassion found themselves ass deep in aliens and still able to fight back. Although on more than one occassion there were "large" numbers of NPC casualties and no few number of PC's spending uber amounts of recovery/hospitalization time.
The Empath groups were different though and quite frequently wound up hiring street guns to keep themselves alive.
Antenna

Post by Antenna »

I made it easy for myself and my gaming group the game is allways set 20 years in the future when we start our campaigns. New weapons is almost the ones found around on the net and my pages www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna/ the reason why there ain't more futuristic weapons 20 years in the future is answered with the answer development for new toys has as anything else in development almost halted. The new toys you got is those who has passed in that way that there has been enough people buying the gear. The stuff that aint showed at my homepage is gear that I put together during game or before to have a semi-"flying carpet" for the gamers.

Antenna
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Now I think about it, I'd like to make a few suggestions as to the 'state of the art' of small arms in Dark Conspiracy. I do have a bit of a reputation as a gun bunny after all, and what is worse is that's not only among the people I game with but also my non-gamer mates down the pub :?

There are probably too many to list here right now, but my first suggestion would be to draw up a list of either real-life weapons, or at least types of weapon, and then stat them up. making sure there is open discussion as we go of course.

If you want to hear them, I will compose an email to the dev team with my ideas in detail.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

Personally, I would love to see the ideas Lee has.

In our campaigns we've introduced several completely new and modified weapons, but the majority have been at least loosely related to books presented in the core rules.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Morthrai wrote: If you want to hear them, I will compose an email to the dev team with my ideas in detail.
I haven't forgotten about this :) I will get the email done and sent to the guys when I get a moment spare, I've finally got myself a bit of work and have also been 'volunteered' to make up a website for my local pub. That's going to be fun as I haven't touched html and its brethren for a couple of years :shock:
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Pimp My Gun

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah guns, well that's what you fight the dark minions with after all. I personally hate lasers and blasters and all that stuff. I like normal weapons. Many guns which exist today are much better than those featured in Cyberpunk and Shadowrun for example.

Many players like to modifie their guns (just like their vehicles) with silencers, barrel extensions, oversized magazines and much other stuff. Very few games offer gun modifications to the players.

P.S. I would not mind if you would make the list available for the public...
Antenna

Post by Antenna »

Morthrai wrote: I've finally got myself a bit of work and have also been 'volunteered' to make up a website for my local pub. That's going to be fun as I haven't touched html and its brethren for a couple of years :shock:
Morthrai if you need help with the tags etc bump the horn =)

Antenna
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Twilgith 2000 provided a great source for DC weapons. I remeber one group that got there hands on a 6-PAC. (6 barrelled gatling gun, think Predator.) Ah, that was a nice fight.

Anyhow, I agree that having some logical progression of weapons is important. However, as much as possible existing guns should be retained. It helps the gun bunnys among us and a lot of sitations would not lend itself to advanced weapons. I.E. a street gang, not military types, survivalists, etc. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the weapons from the T2K small arms guide in it. I also have a copy of the formula for calculating game damage and stats from any real gun. My one friend worked real hard on updateing the gun catalog. Maybe we can use those for the 3rd project?

Thanks,
Duncan
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I also have an Excel worksheet full of weapons, well three sheets in fact :) One for small arms, one for heavy weapons and one full of melee weapons. I'm bringing those with me to DCtRPG 8)
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

There is almost unlimited suply of guns for DC in the net, this site has millions of guns: http://www.pmulcahy.com/

But I like this one better: http://www.wapahani.com/

Neither of them are mine, but they are worth a visit. I guess all of you know them already since you have been playing DC for quite some time.

DC could really use some more melee weapons. Well, I know people who live by the sword usually get shot by those who don't, but players seem to like melee weapons.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Reviving this thread!

Post by Morthrai »

This thread has been very quiet recently and needed reviving, and as I'm more or less in charge of guns and stuff for the new edition I thought it may as well be me :D

First of all, I am just going to mention a weapon and get a few replies, and then it's a free for all. Do a Google search on the Russian-made KS-23 Drozd, also known as the Tula MAG-4 and see what you think. Sadly, I can't get a link from this public terminal because the security is set up so you can't access anything to do with real-life guns :?
Lee Williams.