Chronological situation for a DCIII setting

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Oddball

Chronological situation for a DCIII setting

Post by Oddball »

I’m trying to write a Barcelona Dark Conspiracy setting for our website. The goal is to create a detailed background in which situate our future campaigns. I think it would be nice to take a familiar place for any Catalan player, like Barcelona, and to distort it with the DC lens.

I started writing a basic sketch some time ago and now I would like to continue with the work. This first sketch is situated in the current year. So, I’ve written a short timeline to explain why things are not like in our real live. But, thinking about any new DCIII material that could be officially published, and given our intention to translate all of our website material to the new DCIII rules, I would like to situate my “Dark Barcelona” in a way that could fit any new official setting.

Now, the questions: In the upcoming “Conspiracy Lives”, when will be chronologically situated the background? And, for the people not involved in the project: in which year do you like to play? Do you prefer a distorted reality or do you prefer to project the background some time forward?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: We now have a good bunch of DCIII game sessions played (four active groups). The system works fine. The only major change I’ve make is to use the initiative system of T2K v2.2 and TNE. So, 5 seconds for combat phase, everybody acts at his/her initiative and players with more than 5 have two combat actions (at his/her initiative and at Ini/2).
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: Chronological situation for a DCIII setting

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hey that's a great project Oddball, will you be putting the details of the Barcelona setting on L'Argonauta at all? Although I don't speak Catalan, Google Translate does a decent translation to English so I can still make use of your site :D

It's also great news that you have four active groups, it gives me hope that I can get my own DC campaign running again.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Hi Oddball.

Just so you know. the only firm timeline date that we have in any of our forthcoming products is 2018...and that is only mentioned once in one book. I guess that leaves you with the freedom to do whatever you like!

When your setting is done, maybe we can talk about translating it and putting it into Protodimension Magazine in the future? 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Bona nit!

2018 and the following decade seem good for me. If the "Great Crisis" has its origins in the 90's, there's time enough for the Megacorps to reshape the world and I have enough room to transform Barcelona following the "DC way".

Morthrai: It would be an honor any of our material could be used in Protodimension Magazine. Of course, though I will do my best when rolling against my English Language skill, I think a good revision for any mistakes could be very advisable(and istructive for me).

Due to the fact that we work with the contents of L’Argonauta in a “modular way”, some material could be ready to be used before the work about DC Barcelona will be finished. Let me explain this with an example. A recent reading about the suborbital flights have given us the idea to incorporate a suborbital flight terminal to the Barcelona Airport. So it’s possible that we have a nice deckplan about a suborbital flight aircraft with some technical data and some background writing. It’s a generic documentation ready to be used in a game. I will keep you informed about any update in L’Argonauta. And if anything seems you interesting enough, we will be happy to work in the translation.

ReHerakhte: We will post the DC Barcelona in L’Argonauta, of course. I hope Google Translator could deal well enough between Catalan and English before we make the translation ourselves. Best of lucks with your future campaigns. Half of my players were beginners in rpg and DCIII was his first roleplaying experience. And I’m quite happy that their first game is now a campaign.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

It's a deal then! We will have some material for future editions of Protodimension and you will get some help with improving your language skills :)
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Oddball wrote: And, for the people not involved in the project: in which year do you like to play? Do you prefer a distorted reality or do you prefer to project the background some time forward?

In the two campaigns I ran I started them off in the year 2020. That seemed to be far enough away from the present day for the world to have declined into the state depicted in the main rulebook, but still relatively near future.

Given the games's retro-vibe I'd be tempted to run another campaign set in an alternative late twentieth century.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:Hi Oddball.

Just so you know. the only firm timeline date that we have in any of our forthcoming products is 2018...and that is only mentioned once in one book. I guess that leaves you with the freedom to do whatever you like!

When your setting is done, maybe we can talk about translating it and putting it into Protodimension Magazine in the future? 8)
The forthcoming products thing makes me excited! :D Since the original was 20 years after it's real world date there's a lot of leeway. I think the old Max Headroom TV show used to say "Sometime Tomorrow....."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Ah yes, dear old M-M-Max :)

20 Minutes Into The Future I believe the line was
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

The way the people were glued to the tube influenced my vision of proles since the beginning. This would be the new "opiate of the masses! BTW, the prole TV's were sealed like prison units to prevent tampering.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Linden wrote:
Oddball wrote: And, for the people not involved in the project: in which year do you like to play? Do you prefer a distorted reality or do you prefer to project the background some time forward?

In the two campaigns I ran I started them off in the year 2020. That seemed to be far enough away from the present day for the world to have declined into the state depicted in the main rulebook, but still relatively near future.

Given the games's retro-vibe I'd be tempted to run another campaign set in an alternative late twentieth century.
I keep toying with a multipart adventure that starts in the past, one of the many early incursions, and finishes decades later in the DC present. Like the Merc 2000 crossover in Challenge. I suppose I'll wind up with half a dozen Protodimension articles again. :oops:
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Phulish wrote:

I keep toying with a multipart adventure that starts in the past, one of the many early incursions, and finishes decades later in the DC present. Like the Merc 2000 crossover in Challenge. I suppose I'll wind up with half a dozen Protodimension articles again. :oops:

Per my D6 stuff in Protodimension I'm tempted to set a new campaign in 1970s Britain. Our own version of the Dark Times complete with greater depression style economic collapse.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Linden wrote:
Phulish wrote:

Per my D6 stuff in Protodimension I'm tempted to set a new campaign in 1970s Britain. Our own version of the Dark Times complete with greater depression style economic collapse.
That was a cool adventure!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Thanks - I meant to say your multipart adventure sounds very interesting. I hope you write it up for Protodimension.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Got this round of submissions done! I hopr they're accepted. Now the character thread and that adventure idea are on the burner.