Just some DC3 questions from a newbie

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
1Wolf

Just some DC3 questions from a newbie

Post by 1Wolf »

Hello.

I'm new here and just popped in, started reading through threads, and was hoping to get a little DC help and advice.

Its been a long time since I played a pen & paper RPG, much less DC. However, a few weeks ago, my wife and I were rummaging through our basement and did the ole "Came across an old box" thing. So we've been putting together a DC campaign again and getting back into it after all these years, just the two of us when we have time on a weekend here, or an evening after work there.

I already had all of the 1st and 2nd edition stuff available (And the stuff I didn't have I purchased in *.pdf format). I also purchased Conspiracy Rules and all of the newer pre-published adventures (Acute Care, etc.) through Drive-Thru RPG.

I'm reading through "Conspiracy Rules" and trying to learn it, and was just confused about a few things I was hoping to get some advice on (Although I'm sure as I read further through the book I'll be confused on many more things).

1) Initiative. The original DC initiative system always left alot to be desired and while I used it, it never seemed right. The initiative system in Edition 2.5 seemed to complicated. The optional rule in Demonground #6 with a d10 roll added to initiative seemed very popular and it seemed a great solution. I tried that and it seemed to work well and made things seem MORE balanced instead of less. I kind of expected Conspiracy Rules to use that initiative system from Demonground but instead, it looks like Conspiracy Rules listed what appears to be the original initiative system where someone with an initiative of 6 actually gets to go 6 times in the turn whereas someone with an initiative of 1 only goes once. Then it listed an "Advanced" system and, without testing it, it seems that it would allow even someone with an initiative of 4 to only go once in a 30 second turn. That didn't seem right.

So I'm wondering what everyone else is using? Are you using the basic init system from DC3? Or the advanced system? Or the optional initiative detailed in Demonground?

2) Backwards Compatible? I have all the pre-published adventures for DC1 & DC2 either in paper form as purchased back in the 90's, or in *.pdf form. I'd like to be able to use all my old pre-published adventures like New Orleans. Do you have to do any sort of 'conversion' to get those old adventures to work with DC3 or should it work right out of the box?

3) Empathy. I notice that in DC3 there are no 'advanced' rules for Empathy...just sort of the basic generic stuff. I liked the 2nd edition empathy rules and careers like Mystic or Sorceror. Will those be in an upcoming supplement do you think? How do you guys handle Empathic skills now? Do you just use the 2nd edition empathy rules along with the 3rd edition for everything else?

Just out of curiosity, what is generally preferred? Are most folks using the 3rd edition rules or sticking with the 2nd?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as I go. Thanks in advance :) For now I think I'll spend some time reading through all the threads here and see what I can pick up :)
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Just some DC3 questions from a newbie

Post by Morthrai »

Welcome aboard! I'm part of the third edition crew so here are a couple of quick answers. I will go into more detail when I have time!

Initiative always has been one of DC's "points of discussion". We didn't use the alternative from Demonground as we don't have any claim to it. As seasoned gamers ourselves we have no problem with people changing stuff, so I say use whatever system you prefer 8)

Our newer adventures shouldn't require any conversion; the numbers are meant to be compatible with previous edition values.

As for Empathic skills, the DCIII Empathic Sourcebook is still under development. To make up for the delay, we plan on offering it as a freebie when it's done.

Got to dash, talk at you later!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
1Wolf

Post by 1Wolf »

Thank you.

I am really enjoying reading through the 3rd edition so far. Well done! One of the things that I always felt about the 2nd edition was that it felt sort of cobbled together and sort of like an afterthought. It always had this kind of "rough draft" feel to it. The 3rd edition feels very polished and much easier to read and use.

Just curious...what initiative system do you prefer?

When you mention that the newer adventures shouldn't require any conversion, how about the older pre-published adventures such as "New Orleans" or "Heart of Darkness"? I'd like to use those older adventures but wasn't sure whether they would be directly compatible or not.

You had mentioned that the Empathic Sourcebook for DC3 is under development. Is that the same as the "Conspiracy Lives" mentioned in the "Conspiracy Rules" book? I'm very much looking forward to the stuff mentioned coming in "Conspiracy Lives" like the original DC backstory, information, world, events, etc.

Regardless of whether you guys release it for free...I'd gladly pay for it.

Thanks again for the welcome Morthrai. Lots of good stuff here 8)
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

A couple of points in no specific order:

The "Conspiracy Lives" book will be the detailed back story and world for the game. The Empathic guide at the moment is a separate thing, because as gamers ourselves we know not everyone will want to use everything in their game. Plenty of people have created their own DC world setting (including myself). We are trying to present a series of publications that all work together but we don't expect folks to be hanging on our every word! :)

The original publications should work with DCIII without needing conversion of the stats or number values. It's the way those numbers tie into the game that has changed.

As for initiative, I personally am a fan of that same method from Demonground 6. It was created by Marcus Bone who also created these very forums :)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Plus Morthrai should be slaving away on a weapons, equipment book in a lonely protodimension! :wink: Or was that an empathic suggestion?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Plus Morthrai should be slaving away on a weapons, equipment book in a lonely protodimension! :wink:

Strangely enough that is next up on my Task List and I have already started corellating a list of itmes to go in there 8)
Lee Williams.