Fist Fights and Bar Brawls

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Fist Fights and Bar Brawls

Post by Zvezda »

The close combat mechanics of DC are simple though still complex enough to give you a good choice of offensive and defensive moves. Players always complained that blocking is too difficult and I think I hardly ever used the diving blow but besides that they worked quite good. Nothing grossly imbalanced or exceptional strange. The close combat rules have changed a lot in DCIII.

I wonder if someone has tested or used them already. What is your experience? How do you like the changes?
Руки Вверх!
Zvezda
Darkling

Re: Fist Fights and Bar Brawls

Post by Zvezda »

Has at least someone read the DCIII close combat rules?
Руки Вверх!
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I'll get on it.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Thanks. I hope you like it. I desperately need an other opinion on that topic.
Руки Вверх!
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

When I get home, I'll do a quick dust up, I'll use them with my nephew this weekend. :wink:
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

how would one treat a headbutt? This is also an attack that can be used while grappled, so I thought I'd ask. :twisted:
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Normally I treat a head-butt as an aimed strike with the fist. Doing the normal amount of damage (it's more difficult than a strike but automatically hits the opponents head). I don't apply damage to the attacker's head or something. I think if the player belives the PC to be able to fight like this it should be okay. Miss simply is a miss while catastrophic failiure should result to head-damage equal to own Unarmend Combat Damage (UCD). The task is often performed while wearing a helmet in which case we normally add+1 to the UCD. The problem with beeing grappled is that I consider the fighter able to put the opponent in a hold where no movement is possible. So let's say someone hat 2 controlling hits. The PC could still try to headbutt the opponent with -2 because he is not down jet. If he has 12 controling hits however I think he is in several locks, on the ground and unable to move.
Using the headbutt to free a PC from a hold is a good tactic. If you hit the opponent it is not to unlikely to knock him out instantly. After all you score a hit to the head. However the chances of a catastropic failiure are higher since it is a more difficutlt roll. Generally it is the same as a handstrike with no real advantage but the cinematic effect on the game. I don't tell the players that they technically performing a normal aimed strike and they seem to be contempted with that.
Руки Вверх!
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Yeah, I'd say it would be like a jab.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Set up is while waiting for a contact in a bar, a female PC gets groped by a drunk and retaliates. More to come! :mrgreen:
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Can't wait to hear the results especially compared to the old rules.
Руки Вверх!
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Thanks for reminding me to do a comparison.