Vehicle stats

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

It seems very inapropriate. But than again this is exactly what a good conspiracy needs.
Phulish
Nome

Still trying:

Post by Phulish »

In a fit of masochism, I've trying to stat out more retro vehicles. The reference I've found has liters per 100KM. I'm still going with cruising speed being 60% max speed.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

You are always welcom to post the stats or submit them to the Protodimensions.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

After doing a few vehicles for my site, I have found that Phulish's suggestion of Cruise Speed being about 60% of the real world speed seems to be working well.
I might have to retroactively apply it to some of the vehicle cards I've already done but it's an infinitely more satisfying result than the screwy figures I'm getting when trying to work in with the stats assigned to vehicles in the DC book.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Hopefully, if there ever is another version of DC published, this will be one of the things that gets cleared up and made easier to understand. Everyone likes a decent car chase scene 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Re: Vehicle stats

Post by Phulish »

It's been roughly a year since this was discussed, does anyone use a classic car book for inspiration? I'm thinking of bringing a few more back out. A 1955 Ford crown vic to return as a police interceptor has been running through my mind(merely add Revlon to the name).
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

While I haven't used them yet, I do have three car books that I bought some time back for just that reason. While specifically a set they were companion books and if I remember right are called Classic Cars of the 1950s, ... of the 1960s and ... of the 1970s.
There's a hell of a lot of cars from those decades that have the kind of look for DC but my biggest source of inspiration is actually the car modders with their restyled 1950s & 1960s cars. Some of those cars look like they "made for" DC!
I usually go into Google Images and use a search like "1950s custom cars"
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Morthrai »

Morthrai wrote:Hopefully, if there ever is another version of DC published, this will be one of the things that gets cleared up and made easier to understand. Everyone likes a decent car chase scene 8)
Almost wish I hadn't said that, a year ago before we got the licence, as I forgot all about it :oops:
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

As long as you do the best you can, was there a formula for T2K2? If you can standardize the stats we'll do the rest. :D
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I havn't used any car books so far but I used a calender of classic bikes (Enfield, BSA and Triumph mostly) but normally I only scan the images and use fantasy stats since the bike in question is not a real '50s vehicle but a SciFi look-alike.
Руки Вверх!
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Some of the vehicles use a gallon an hour! The Yugo, Zil, Winnebago all 5-8L/hr.
Story
Minion

Post by Story »

Phulish wrote:It's been roughly a year since this was discussed, does anyone use a classic car book for inspiration? I'm thinking of bringing a few more back out. A 1955 Ford crown vic to return as a police interceptor has been running through my mind(merely add Revlon to the name).
I'd think some questions are in order - what Departments are buying production interceptors?

Wear to the drive train (engine, suspension and transmission) is one of the factors for new vehicle purchase. An extrapolation of this - highest tech available, mass-production - would appeal to government and corporate police forces that can still afford - and justify - high speed interceptors that don't suck down fuel.
http://www.inautonews.com/stealth-conce ... nterceptor

I could see where, in the world of DC, impoverished departments buying up high-performance cars (where civilians can't afford fuel and are inclined to sell off collectors' items*) and hiring mechanics to tweak them with a blend of 20th century bulk and 21st century tech (like a 400HP engine with EFI, so that it can get 20+ MPG highway performance).
Good backgrounder on Police Interceptors
http://www.jcs-group.com/cruisin/roads/state.html

* Another source of non-standard high-performance interceptors are confiscations from criminals. Jus' sayin'.
http://fordofwestmemphis.blogspot.com/2 ... cated.html

** Or museum pieces, dragged out because they were in better shape than the more modern vehicles. This might be particularly true after a gang attack on a police motor pool.
http://popuppistons.com/2112/1961-ford- ... terceptor/
Also, a fun fact for homebuilders - the kevlar in expended airbags (available at any junkyard at scrap co$t$) can be used as a bullet resistant liner for the interior of doors. Real world, I think the folks that do these tricks calculated that they can get the equivalent of LVL III body armor.
Story
Minion

Post by Story »

As an aside, with the astronomical price of fuel in DC, I'd expect that Old Tech cars would be squirreled away in barns, warehouses and garages. Some entrepreneurs might make a habit of acquiring, updating and peddling these (now hi-performance) autos to Nomens.

Specifically, check out the Tucker
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/rusty-cars- ... lions.html
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

How about a slightly less expensive option, the Hudson? Looks kind of like a beetle I think.

http://bit.ly/l8XIGH
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Have a GAZ Pobeda
Руки Вверх!