Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Post by Morthrai »

In the spirit of Chris Carpenter's old Dark Conspiracy Internet Movie Database (now long gone sadly), I thought we should start recommending movies and TV that can and have inspired DC gaming ideas. Maybe we could even start a new version of the DCIMDB if there's enough interest? 8)

Anyway, the first on my list is 'Split Second', a 1991 Rutger Hauer flick set in a half-submerged London. It has a big nasty monster, psychic powers, large calibre weaponry and bad one-liners. Tres kewl :D

More next time folks!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

DOG SOLDIERS all the way! Guns, the paranormal and a conspiracy. It is an awsome movie. I have never heard of split second.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Oh, Split Secondis a long way from being one of the best movies ever made :lol: But it does have the basics that make Dark Conspiracy what it is, and it's the original inspiration for my old Republic of Britain stuff in Demonground.
Lee Williams.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

OK, for those who might be interested I have been in touch with Chris and he has promised to dig out the old DC-IMDB files with a view to either he or I reposting them somewhere on teh intarwebb 8) Newcomers will be able to gasp in awe at the sheer arrogance of a bunch of gamers passing themselves off as movie and TV critics :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Re: Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:In the spirit of Chris Carpenter's old Dark Conspiracy Internet Movie Database (now long gone sadly), I thought we should start recommending movies and TV that can and have inspired DC gaming ideas.
Lee, we talked about this one before, but for the benefit of the other members, what about Mimic? Intelligent bugs living underneath a modern city. Good inspiration for Insectoid ET adventures. The bugs are the products of genetic engineering gone awry which also strikes me as very DC.

There's a sequel which is supposed to be ok, but I've not seen it.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Not the most obvious of choices but I'd like to nominate "Hated", Todd Phillips's biopic of punk madman GG Allin:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107086/

Allin was a real life incarnation of the Dread Sidhe from Dark Races: A nomadic, sociopathic outlaw with a fanatical (albeit small) army of fans, whose gigs usually ended in violence, often provoked by the man himself. His final performance terminated in a full blow riot subsequent to which Allin took a fatal heroin overdose.

Not for the faint hearted, as it's pretty disgusting, but bloody funny as well.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Here are some of my suggestions.

War of the Worlds TV Series, Season 2. This was so Dark Conspiracy. Organic Androids, Darkteck, Alien conspiracies, bunkers, everything.

X-Files. Duh. Several episodes, espically the earlier ones were really good. I really liked the once called Ice.

Aliens is actually not a bad flick either as for the group fighting stuff.

I hear Speics is suppose to be pretty good, but I have never seen it myself.

I am sure there are others, but I am drawing a blank for some reason.

I will post more later,
Duncan
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Doh! How could I forget my favorite DC type movie. It is Anime and pretty old now. Check out the original Silent Mobius and Silent Mobius 2. There is now quite a bit of SM (hehehe) stuff on the web, and I need to check out some of the newer stuff. I just got a Silent Mobius graphic novel today. Thier world seems maybe a little too clean and happy, but there are some great inspirations there.

Give me a Graviton gun anyday.

Thanks,
Duncan
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

For my next recommendation, I give you Crossworlds. Another low-ish budget flick with Rutger Hauer, but it has everything you need to know about dimensional travel. It also has a semi-decent cast including Stuart Wilson, Jack Black and Andrea Roth 8)
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Dark Angel. It's got the depressed future environment, oppression of the poor by the ruling classes, rozzers armed to the teeth, and what's Max if not a better looking than usual Moreau Were?
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I think all Romero Zombie movies and their remakes are quite good. Ohh and of cause from Dusk till Dawn. Dealing with the vampires DC style.
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Hmm, for that mater maybe I would suggest the old movie Vamp with Grace Jones. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092147/

See ya,
Duncan
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Threshold, a recent (last year) TV series was pretty DC, set in the present or very near future. ET's try to take over the world with a sonic/psychic signal. Even had some nice Fopreboding type dreams.
TANSTAAFL
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

How about They Live? Slightly different take on the clandestine ET invasion theme i.e, the aliens are in it for the cash.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Oh I don't think there can be much doubt that Lester Smith had been watching They Live whilst writing the original Dark Conspiracy rulebook 8)

Also, at the moment I am enjoying the second season of Medium which is shown here in the UK on Tuesday evenings on BBC One. Empathy? I should say so!
Lee Williams.