Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Lusus Naturae

Post by Lusus Naturae »

Watched Silent Hill the other day. Not a great film but some interesting ideas that could work for a DC game.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

That proto-dimension thing was quite nice there. I think it would work very well. Has someone played the video game?
Lusus Naturae

Post by Lusus Naturae »

I'm afraid I haven't. Think it might have been a bit like 'Alone in the Dark', which was one of the first isometric view games, which come to think of it had some very DC themes.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yep I think you are right. I thougt it was based on CoC or something. I liked Jagged Alliance better though...
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

According to wikipedia, "Alone in the Dark" was loosely patterned after CoC. However, the 2005 movie of the same name staring Christian Slater was definitely DC-like more so than the game.

Norm
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I havn't seen the 'Alone in the Dark' movie. Has it something to do with the game? Is it worth seeing?

I just went to see "Children of Men" which is really good. It has neither super naturals, nor magic or even a big conspiracy but draws a very frightening picture of the near futur. It makes the Cyberpunk world look like Euro Disney.
It is definitly worth watching and it is very, very evil.
Lusus Naturae

Post by Lusus Naturae »

I've not seen the 'Alone in the Dark' movie but from the reviews I've read it's a bit of a flop.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

It is not nessesarly bad if it is a flop, though I did not like what I have seen of it too much.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Just have seen 'Repro Man'! Hell that was a tough 80s movie...very strange. Very very strange. I did not get all of it I must admit. But it was cool in a special way.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Just have seen 'Repro Man'! Hell that was a tough 80s movie...very strange. Very very strange. I did not get all of it I must admit. But it was cool in a special way.
I think it deliberately leaves some things unexplained i.e. how do the decaying aliens turn the car into a spaceship at the end. Some things we're just not meant to know.

If you can find it the bowdlerized BBC version is worth watching because it contains some extra scenes and it's quite funny, albeit for the wrong reasons: All of the profanities are overdubbed (apparently by the original cast) with expressions that are supposedly less offensive. The Rodriguez brothers get called "Melon Farmers" a lot. Arguably more insulting that than the original epithet given that they're Hispanic?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

It was difficult to get this version! It was not a bad film. Not at all. I really liked it. It was VERY punk rock. But strange. The Rodriguez brothers are pretty cool characters anyways. Ohh...where all the repo men named after beers? Bud...Miller...Lite?
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:It was difficult to get this version! It was not a bad film. Not at all. I really liked it. It was VERY punk rock. But strange. The Rodriguez brothers are pretty cool characters anyways. Ohh...where all the repo men named after beers? Bud...Miller...Lite?
Yes, one of the reasons I like it was because I was into a lot of the US punk bands on the soundtrack (Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies). Apparently the repo men are all named after American beers but I didn't realise that at the time. I'm British and have never been a great one for lager, although you can certainly get Bud and Miller over here if you're so minded.

Slightly off topic, but when I visited Las Vegas last year a lot of stores had an imported beer section and the only UK brew they stocked was Newcastle Brown which is evil stuff. Sink a few of those and expect to spend the next morning on the toilet. :(
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Ouuh..Ohh! Thanks for the warning If I ever make it to Las Vegas I'll stay away from Newcastel Brown. I have had a look on some pages about the film and many famus punk rockers are actually characters in the film! The more I think about it the better I like it.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Naturally you good people will already know about this but I just thought I ought to drop this link into this thread. 8)

http://protodimension.org/dcmdb/
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
The Cooler King

Post by The Cooler King »

Hello!

First time poster here, but a longtime player and GM of Dark Conspiracy, and I nominate three movies.

-Deep Rising: big guns, massive monster, and great one-liners
-The Hidden: more guns and monsters (and I even based one of my greatest DC adventures on it)
-Hostel (it's run by the Dark Elves!)
"I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice."

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"