Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hey I have just seen 'The Boys form Brazil' and I must say it was an excellent suggestion. I loved the acting and the costumes, as well as the strange hair cuts. It made the movie so 70s! :shock:
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Don't think anyone's mentioned Strange Days? It's got the chaotic breakdown of society, untrustworthy authorities, plus some rather peculiar technology i.e. the squid headsets.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

A couple more:

Brazil for the retro-tech stylings, and maybe the Orwellian storyline.

The Naked Lunch for the cockroach typewriter alone. Retro-ET/Dark Tek anyone? Is Lee working for the insectoid ETs but doesn't really know it? Also the Interzone, is it perhaps a proto-dimension?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

True!

I liked 'Dance of the Dead' from the Masters of Horror. Very interesting. Can definetly be used for DC.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

And another one: Trancers.

Retro styling again, and what's barmy cult leader Martin Whistler if not a high level empath? Haven't seen the later sequels but I gather 4 and 5 feature dimensional travel. They're also supposed to be not very good?
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

It's almost impossible to find, but another good flick is Cast a Deadly Spell. The setting is more film noir, and there is an unbelievable amount of Cthulhu influence (The main character is a private eye named H. Phillips Lovecraft) but it's still a pretty fun little movie with the hero fighting monsters his enemies summon and send after him.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

anthraxus wrote:It's almost impossible to find, but another good flick is Cast a Deadly Spell. The setting is more film noir, and there is an unbelievable amount of Cthulhu influence (The main character is a private eye named H. Phillips Lovecraft) but it's still a pretty fun little movie with the hero fighting monsters his enemies summon and send after him.
I've seen that. It's quite enjoyable. Fred Ward in the starring role. He's usually worth watching. Also David Warner who often turns up in Lovecraft inspired movies. Think there's a sequel with Dennis Hopper replacing Ward? Lee knows. :wink:
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Do you know the name of the sequel?
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Do you know the name of the sequel?
A quick tootle around the imdb reveals that it's called Witch Hunt and directed by Paul Schrader of all people:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111730/

Seems to be a metaphorical examination of McCarthyism.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

It seems as if both films where produced for TV. They will be really hard to get.
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

Try http://www.cultdvdzone.com/

That's where I got my copy of Cast a Deadly Spell from. I think they have Witch Hunt as well.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:It seems as if both films where produced for TV. They will be really hard to get.
Cast A Deadly Spell has been on TV here in the UK. Think it was Channel 5, which is sort of like a satellite station, only on terrestrial.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Ahh thanks for the info.
Hmm I think both 'Saw' films hold nice inspirations for Dark Elves. Those traps are really evil. The movies are okay but not outstanding. Somewhat like 'Seven' wich is not too bad.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Braxen

Post by Braxen »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Nightstalker series yet (old or new)? I caught an episode of the new series this past friday(?) and it wasnt too bad. Neat idea.

What about Bladerunner? I like the feel of that movie and try to use a lot of elements for certain DC events (weather, massive billboards, etc).
"Hey guys did you hear that scraping sound? guys? GUYS?!"

Braxen