Dark Conspiracy 4th Edition!

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Dark Conspiracy 4th Edition!

Post by Morthrai »

Finally, the true Dark Conspiracy can be uncovered! I can reveal that Patric Götz has acquired the DC licence and is planning to bring us Dark Conspiracy 4th edition sometime in 2018. Patric runs the German RPG company Uhrwerk Verlag (Clockwork Publishing for us English speakers) and already publishes a mixture of RPGs in both languages - including another old GDW line Space:1889. :D

Check out the teaser here: http://dark-conspiracy.com/
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: Dark Conspiracy 4th Edition!

Post by ReHerakhte »

Ah ha, so that explains the strange rumours I had been hearing from friends with friends in a country that borders Germany... :?
Good news indeed after thinking that the end of 3Hombres association with DC was the "end" of DC.

There's a bit of a write up about it on EN world
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... YQlxoh94dV

EDIT: As much as I am looking forward to all this, the website for this edition does give me pause...
From http://dark-conspiracy.com/
"The relaunch will begin with the release of the Dark Conspiracy core rulebook, accompanied by the Dark Conspiracy Referee’s Resource & Screen, special Dark Conspiracy dice and card decks, and adventures. Future supplements will include sourcebooks detailing gear, psychic powers, minions, and will further explore the world of Dark Conspiracy."
Special dice? Card decks? I really hope they mean dice and cards configured for or branded as DC and they aren't some "special" proprietary dice/card system that you'll need to play the game.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

From what little I know, Clockwork's intention is to tidy up the original ruleset so I'm hoping it's branded stuff rather than a total change. Only fair to bear in mind that they have changed core rules for some of their other lines though. Too early to tell as yet :?
ReHerakhte wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:51 am As much as I am looking forward to all this, the website for this edition does give me pause...

"The relaunch will begin with the release of the Dark Conspiracy core rulebook, accompanied by the Dark Conspiracy Referee’s Resource & Screen, special Dark Conspiracy dice and card decks, and adventures. Future supplements will include sourcebooks detailing gear, psychic powers, minions, and will further explore the world of Dark Conspiracy."
Special dice? Card decks? I really hope they mean dice and cards configured for or branded as DC and they aren't some "special" proprietary dice/card system that you'll need to play the game.
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Yeah... I know they use the Ubiquity system for their Space: 1889 material and that does give me some cause for concern - I am not a fan of that system and I am especially not a fan if it turns something like DC into nothing but a pulp-action adventure series.
While I realize that DC can very well be pulp-action, that's just one way to play it and the earlier rules systems did not force that on the Players. I am not so keen to see it use a simplistic rules system that is made for nothing but cinematic/pulp-action style.
I'd still buy any DC product they made, but I wouldn't be using Ubiquity to run it.

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hi All... please take the following in the spirit that it is intended - as personal opinion and self indulgence - nothing more!

So... I'm not looking forward to the new 4th edition of Dark Conspiracy.

Why? Because it won't be my Dark Conspiracy, it'll be modernised and changed, updated and different... and I'm now too old for change...

I know that is a stupid statement. I know Jason Durall (having had contact with him through my Stormbringer website and Facebook etc.), and Clockwork Publishing does a great job with everything it produces (hell I own most of their Space 1889 stuff and its good!). But it still won't matter... I'll hate DC 4th ed.

Look, I've been involved in DC constantly for almost 20 years now, as a writer, creator and one time licence holder and I have my own opinions on what the game should look and be like. Hell, the reason I keep this site going is mainly so I can spout off my stupid ideas and opinions in the guise of 'DC support'. I'm a stubborn, often uncommunicative SOB, okay?

BUT... I'm like this with all rebooted RPGs. I always start out hating the ideas, concepts and changes, but over time find myself softening my opinions (take 7th ed Call of Cthulhu as a prime example!).

Why is this you ask? Is it just because I'm a crazy old curmudgeon... well yes... but more over because I realised a few years ago, that my version of a game (my DC for example) was never the 'right' or 'only' way and that is the real point of gaming - to create our own worlds in which my friends and I can do what we like! My DC will always be My DC as long as I write the occasional error ridden article or scenario on DCtRPG.info or I think - as I often do - that'd be a cool idea of a story of plot... if only I had the time/courage/interest to write it up...

So... I hate the idea of DC 4th ed... but also know one day I'll love it too.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marcus Bone wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 am I've been involved in DC constantly for almost 20 years now, as a writer, creator and one time licence holder and I have my own opinions on what the game should look and be like. Hell, the reason I keep this site going is mainly so I can spout off my stupid ideas and opinions in the guise of 'DC support'...

...I realised a few years ago, that my version of a game (my DC for example) was never the 'right' or 'only' way and that is the real point of gaming - to create our own worlds in which my friends and I can do what we like! My DC will always be My DC as long as I write the occasional error ridden article or scenario on DCtRPG.info or I think - as I often do - that'd be a cool idea of a story of plot... if only I had the time/courage/interest to write it up...
Completely understandable Marcus! We ALL have a somewhat different vision of what Dark Conspiracy should look and be like and we all like to spout our own ideas off - that's what these forums and the various social media groups are for. It's also why I continue assembling the Dark Times fanzine 8)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

And DC can be a patchwork of ideas!
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

I have the same opinion as the three of you. DC can be whatever we need it to be (as can any RPG we decide to run), I don't think I have ever run a DC game that was straight from the book - and aside from some D&D and ShadowRun games that's also true for every RPG I've ever run. :D
I'll definitely get the 4th edition and I'll likely find things in it I like, some I'll love and some I'll dislike and maybe some I'll even hate... but like almost every RPG I've ever run, I'll end up using it as a base to build from and I'll run it my way.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Marcus Bone wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 am
Look, I've been involved in DC constantly for almost 20 years now, as a writer, creator and one time licence holder and I have my own opinions on what the game should look and be like.
Wasn't that always the beauty of the game though? The original book gave you all the basics you needed. It was up to you what you did with it. There was no party line you had to follow - GDW supplements weren't even consistent with each other!
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Just wanted to let you lovely people know that there are signs of movement on DC4 8)

When I find out more I'll let you know!
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Clockwork appears to have started the recruiting campaign in the last few days. 8)
Jason Durall (who has worked on various game projects) is the line manager for the new edition and also the person in charge of finding people to work on the new edition.
So yes, there is definite movement :D
Morthrai wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 pm Just wanted to let you lovely people know that there are signs of movement on DC4 8)

When I find out more I'll let you know!

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Okay folks, it's officially begun! Clockwork's official Facebook page have just posted the following announcement:

"Work on the new edition of the core rules has just begun in earnest. I'm starting this thread to see what sort of things you, the loyal fans, would like to see with this new edition."

If you want to have your say and you are on FB then go here to tell 'em what you want: https://www.facebook.com/DarkConspiracy

:twisted: 8) :D
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

The curse!
The curse!

Seems the future of Clockwork is in doubt and thus also 4th edition. :(
Press release is in German https://www.uhrwerk-verlag.de/uhrwerk-v ... z-bekannt/ but here's a Google Translate version in English
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... bekannt%2F

It's now a case of wait and see. :cry:

It's whether I win...