Expat...... Morthai and others......

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Phulish
Nome

Expat...... Morthai and others......

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai, for my longer rural project I want a Brit Expat running a Brit style pub. Could you provide tips? He was stranded when the Greater Depression occured and made a place for himself. Please forgive any errors, I've had a whole bottle of Mead and a couple of Anchor Wheats. :shock: Mead goes down rather smooth. I'm researching crypto-zoology and my misc. sources. Plus I can barely type :oops: I'm actually trying to have an in teresting NPC.
Linden
Darkling

Re: Expat...... Morthai and others......

Post by Linden »

The film Last Orders with Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins and a host of other British acting luminaries does a good job of depicting UK pub life (as well as being a fine film in its own right). Well worth a look. The interiors were filmed in my mate's old local in Peckham which was a proper old school British boozer. I suspect it's been gentrified since then.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

My thought is a small town that grows organic food and has a deal to supply a corp for it's high end "foodie" execs. A tour bus holding foreign tourists was stranded during the Greater Recession. Some have integrated into the community.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

First of all, apologies for missing this thread originally! :(

What do you need to know Phulish?
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm First of all, apologies for missing this thread originally! :(

What do you need to know Phulish?
As you know from editing even my American English can suffer. But perhaps a collaboration on Proper Anglo slang and structure for the Dialog blurbs. The Ex-pat in question is British, and picking up Bad American habits like packing a Sig or Hipower. His pub will be thoroughly British in food and Home Brewed Ales, stouts, food, but he does a "Colonial Buffet" on the fourth of July. He is the lynch pin of the Expats living in this roughly imagined town. I might gear some amenities towards serving the land train trucks...… He uses the local produce and meats, but actually hunts the venison for an old Royal Game Stew recipe. He is partners with the Food corp "Founder" in the micro brewery.

But I want him to "sound British". Proper slang and spelling I believe will help with that. The reader's can hear the sentence with the accent, and feel like they're in a genuine pub. Oh and the custom of "Banning is vigorously enforced by the locals! :lol: Also thinking of the 1950's aluminum Land Rover and Chrysler's Jeep amongst the new gear!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Nothing that couldn't be fixed if I did a separate edit of the draft for accuracy before doing the standard edit and layout I reckon 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Thanks!