DC Editions

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
1Wolf

DC Editions

Post by 1Wolf »

Just curious what DC edition (1st, 2nd, 3rd) you prefer and why? If you already were running a DC2 campaign, did you convert it to DC3? How did that work out?

If you converted a previous edition campaign to DC3, what observations/opinions do you have about running a DC3 campaign compared to DC2?

Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: DC Editions

Post by Marcus Bone »

Interesting question. I'd go for 3rd, if only because it brings together everything the older editions hinted at :P
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Third. I like the game.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Although I haven't run anything with it yet, I also favour third edition for all the reasons Marcus mentioned above and also because it's essentially the result of many years of play with the earlier editions and sets about to correct some of the issues players had with those earlier ones.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

OK obviously I am going to say third edition, as you might expect!

However, even taking into account my involvement in 3rd edition, if unexpectedly called upon to referee a DC game I would go with 1st. All those years of familiarity would be very helpful.

This reminds me, I had better start putting together a 3rd edition adventure for next year's Continuum convention :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

As a slight update to this line of inquiry, I have read some Twilight: 2000 (T2k) forum posts that mentioned that some T2k players have used DCIII for their rules base, pretty much for the reasons cited here.

It's whether I win...
KeiBu

Post by KeiBu »

I have to admit, even though I've owned every edition, I tend to default to First edition. I enjoyed the Second Edition system and haven't run CR yet (despite pretty much buying it "out of the gate"), but my heart always lies with first.
Welcome to the Kevolution.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

I've said somewhere else on this forum that I favoured 2nd edition and that's because basically I found it to be nothing much more than a slight update of 1st Ed. and the use of a D20 over the D10 gives a wider range of Difficulty Levels. Having said that, I actually default to the Twilight: 2000 (T2k) 2.2 rules which is essentially just an update of the D20 rules as used in DC 2nd Ed. to make T2k fall into line with the D20 rules system used in Traveller: The New Era.
I tend to use the 1st Ed. DC & T2k 2.2 books because I prefer them as reference books over the truncated 2nd Ed. Basic books.

I would be more than happy to make use of CR/DCIII for my next game because CR is again an update of the earlier system rather than some radical change. I vaguely recall that when first reading the CR rules that I might add some elements of the T2k 2.2 rules into the mix (particularly the Fatigue and Travel rules) to give me some more options. However I do find the lack of an index in CR to be particularly frustrating!
But that's all going to depend on if I can get a "next game" actually happening, I've said somewhere else in this forum that I'm pretty much over the fantasy RPGs but there just doesn't seem to be the interest in non-fantasy RPGs to get a game started :x

It's whether I win...