Human Empathy vs Darklings

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

Human Empathy vs Darklings

Post by Linden »

I was wondering how you GMs handle a Human Empathy roll when one or more of the subjects being scanned is a Dark Minion of some type. I'm thinking specifically of those who can pass for human such as Dark Elves and maybe Bloodkin Vampires or Ravagers. Would the Empath just not receive any signal back and thus realise there's something amiss about the person? I think that would make spotting minions a bit too easy for empathic characters.

My personal inclination is for them to make the skill roll but based purely on their empathy rating (without telling them of course). The subsequent power level doesn't necessarily reveal the empath is dealing with a non-human but at the least they'd get the feeling they're dealing with a wrong 'un. I'd use the rules for detecting Ravagers as a guide here (per Dark Races p81).

Be interested to hear what you all think.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Human Empathy vs Darklings

Post by Morthrai »

An empath should be able to sense something from a living being. A total lack of "vibes" can only indicate one of the following:

1 - subject is a robot or some other kind of artificial construct.
2 - subject is empathic and is masking all emanations to avoid detection.
3 - subject is an empathic "sink", masking any emanations without even knowing it.

I agree with using the Ravager detection method in these cases, it both saves time and makes sense to go with something that already exists :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

It's been quite some time since I had a situation like that in game so I don't actually recall how I dealt with it.
However I am inclined to agree with Lee's take on the situation including agreeing on your suggestion about using the rules for detecting Ravagers.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Thanks both, good to see we're all thinking on roughly the same lines.

Incidentally, in my copy of Dark Conspiracy it says the empathy booster drug increases the Empathy stat for 2D6÷3 hours. Is this a misprint do you think and it should be 2D6+3?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Coming back to this question and thinking about the games I've run, I can't think of a single game where I've had any of the Bloodkin or Ravagers in it.
I did use Dark Elves but nobody with sufficient Empathy thought to use Human Empathy on them. I've had plenty of Igors, evil though still human corporations, a Cyborg or five, Animators, even a Charon once and I loved the Gargoyles maybe a wee bit too much (I tended to set my games in Europe and gargoyles suited pretty much everywhere!) and I did use a few of the ETs, a number of the Beasties and even a very, very minor/junior Dark Lord but I don't think I've ever used the Bloodkin or Ravagers.

Ah memories :D
Makes me want to start another campaign and this time with some Bloodkin as the starting protagonists... and then maybe build up to a Ravager!

P.S. About the Empathy Booster drug, it was so rare in my games that it didn't make an appearance very often but my copy of the 1st Ed book lists 2D6+3 (i.e. 2D6 plus 3) although the print is a little small and a little blurry... or maybe that's just my eyes now!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

The intro adventure of DC 1st Ed, no one needed to scan for "The Master". The limo was shot up and WP grenades used. :D
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:
Ah memories :D
Makes me want to start another campaign and this time with some Bloodkin as the starting protagonists... and then maybe build up to a Ravager!

P.S. About the Empathy Booster drug, it was so rare in my games that it didn't make an appearance very often but my copy of the 1st Ed book lists 2D6+3 (i.e. 2D6 plus 3) although the print is a little small and a little blurry... or maybe that's just my eyes now!
I've got a parapsychologist in my game so he's got the field kit. Last adventure he dosed himself with some booster. I think my old eyes might be having trouble with the print in the 1st ed as well!

I like the Bloodkin as a variation on the old vampire myth. I think they're the game's best iteration of the idea that the old legends are true, just not quite in the way people think they are.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

A good scenario might be capturing a bloodkin and a lesser vamp to make a serum against thier disease.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Phulish wrote:A good scenario might be capturing a bloodkin and a lesser vamp to make a serum against thier disease.
Returning to this topic a little on the late side, I think Dr LaBossiere used this idea in one of his Challenge scenarios. I don't want to give out any spoilers in case you've not played it but....It doesn't end well, let's put it that way. :wink: