Top Asian Country in the Dark Pacific.....

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Phulish
Nome

Top Asian Country in the Dark Pacific.....

Post by Phulish »

I've been thinking of making Japan second place and using a united Korea as the power house. The premise is that the investment in the north is like West German investment in the East Germany. I'm trying to create more stuff like Dae Woo which makes licensed GDM products in addition to their own products, Diatsu-Samsung is another major player. The USFK is still there mainly too keep others from military aggression. The northern factories make quite a bit of prole products, the south makes mostly Mike stuff. China splintering and Japans loss of the lower end Contek market spot makes it a more chaotic region. Perhaps competing ET's serving different Dark Lords started this descent.
Phulish
Nome

Re: Top Asian Country in the Dark Pacific.....

Post by Phulish »

I'm thinking of outlining Dark Korea, the real life stats have the south as sort of a proto metroplex. Some domestic stuff is korean, some are licensed built. DC London and enough hard ware to sink the penesula are influencing my weapons laws. :mrgreen: More later!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Be good to see how this turns out :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Interesting that you mention DC London, nice to see that people are still finding it useful.
I haven't touched the website for years but I hate the idea of pulling it down because I remember when I first got on to the ineternet and found dozens of sites for Twilight/Merc: 2000 and Dark Conspiracy but within a few years many of them had vanished.

I know a number of the sites were by university students on the university websites who no longer had access to their accounts when they finished uni and there weren't as many free web hosting sites as there are now so many of those sites are gone forever (even with the internet archive wayback machine). So yeah, I'm not doing anything much with DC London, the campaign is dead because the game group has broken up but I don't want to remove the site because I know I'd like to be able to see it again sometime in the future. It may be in months or maybe years but I will get another DC game happening and I'll be using lots of the material I posted for DC London!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

It's a nice site, and I occasionally look at it for various reasons. :wink:
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I'll do individual entries for Korea's frame work, but now more background.
Asian countries and currencies:

Japan's yen was about to pass the U.S. dollar until currency speculators manipulated the price and dropped it to 35 yen to the dollar(ala Soros and the UK pound). The Korean Won has gone from 1000 to the dollar to 100 to the dollar. As the population migrated north to south, south to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the U.S. These families began to send money home when immigration became harder. The biggest is the Korean American Investment Group based in Los Angeles, CA with the KANZAC Inc. a close second. More on these groups later. Korea is the shipping hub for Asia, weapons and raw food, some low end Contek exports and advanced weapons, luxury goods, finished food imported. The Free City of Hong Kong is a minor investor and employer of former Korean Army personnel.
Last edited by Phulish on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Most of northern Korea is corp farms or factories. Most supervisors are from the south, those northerners not employed are quite comfortable as proles. Former NK military and spy personnel took a page from their Russian counterparts and became mobsters. The megacorps and investors became powerful and instituted new laws.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I like the way this is coming along. I could well imagine many North Koreans being comfortable as Proles considering the conditions in that country - as a Prole they could be certain of getting fed every day!

Some real world info I got from my time in the mining industry that may give you some ideas: -
North Korea has some very average farmland, they can't produce anywhere near enough food to sustain the population but modern techniques and equipment (including fertilizers) could boost it substantially.

However, North Korea is thought to contain a lot of mineral wealth including large deposits of rare earth elements (REEs). Until recently, the NK government has allowed very few (if any) outsiders to conduct mineral surveys and it is believed they themselves have done little regarding this. Remote surveying (by satellite) and estimates based on the similarities in geology with China, had lead some in the mining industry to conclude that the REEs could rival China's deposits. Modern surveys have proved the validity of this belief.

At present, NK mines some REEs but sells them to China. China provides the largest percentage of REEs to the world and they are vital to our modern electronic based consumer lifestyle. China has the monopoly on REEs and dictates the market and is hoarding it's own supplies so is very happy to exploit NKs deposits so that it preserves its own.
Recently, NK allowed a private company to survey some areas in NK and they claim to have discovered the worlds largest REE deposit. Current projections estimate the deposits to be worth billions of US dollars if they are fully exploited.

What this means in Dark Conspiracy terms is that any megacorp that takes over places in NK, could not afford to ignore the mineral wealth. The farming is definitely needed, but the wealth to be made from the REE deposits is vastly superior and I can imagine it being like the early days of diamond mining in southern African - companies would create closed towns and practically "own" their workers, the companies were the suppliers of housing, food and entertainment and they were also the law and they were happy to employ people who would kill on their behalf.

If you feel like a long session of reading, the following sites give some information on the NK mineral situation. A lot of the info is repeated but there's small details that vary here and there : -
Mining in North Korea -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_North_Korea
News sources -
http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/ ... t-discover
http://rareearthinvestingnews.com/19612 ... ongju.html
http://www.nkeconwatch.com/category/mining/rare-earths/
http://www.mining.com/largest-known-rar ... rea-86139/
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/na ... 61757.html
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101418459
http://www.voanews.com/content/north-ko ... 32018.html
http://thediplomat.com/2014/01/north-ko ... re-earths/
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote:I can imagine it being like the early days of diamond mining in southern African - companies would create closed towns and practically "own" their workers, the companies were the suppliers of housing, food and entertainment and they were also the law and they were happy to employ people who would kill on their behalf.
This is pretty much what the corps do in DC already of course, but it would be more sharply defined out there in the mine camps. Good stuff guys :)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

There are quite a few details to make plausible:
Why are the American bases still active? The Asia I pictured is chaotic and unstable, and more than a few competitors are nuclear. The Koreans still won't allow the U.S. to leave under treaty, even if they could afford to move the units. The Status of Armed Forces Agreement allows the Koreans to utilize their guests under Korean command. Civil Engineering units aid public works, military detectives help overworked Korean task forces, U.S. heavy movers haul goods, etc.

Self Defense needs to change Korea adopts a graded weapons permit system like New Zealand and Massachusetts. More details later on this. The easiest way to change this is to make self defense legal, and change culpability for injuries/ death in self defense cases.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Minor Update: I'm looking at the Empathic Sourcebook for mystic empaths, also I imagine some historic sites can be gates or locks. Also a new race is on a couple of notes awaiting completion.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Minor Update: I'm looking at the Empathic Sourcebook for mystic empaths, also I imagine some historic sites can be gates or locks. Also a new race is on a couple of notes awaiting completion.
Of course, it's a common thread in DC that certain ancient monuments across the world have served more than a ceremonial purpose to those with "certain abilities" way back before the portals were all sealed off. Also, the Far East has a wealth of history and mythology that has been touched upon in DC but not in any depth ;)

Look forward to seeing the filled-out version of the new Darklings too.
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:
Phulish wrote:Minor Update: I'm looking at the Empathic Sourcebook for mystic empaths, also I imagine some historic sites can be gates or locks. Also a new race is on a couple of notes awaiting completion.
Of course, it's a common thread in DC that certain ancient monuments across the world have served more than a ceremonial purpose to those with "certain abilities" way back before the portals were all sealed off. Also, the Far East has a wealth of history and mythology that has been touched upon in DC but not in any depth ;)

Look forward to seeing the filled-out version of the new Darklings too.
I'm working on a Far East race right now for Protodimension! I've also got to finish a gear article, and dabble more with an adventure involving empathic viruses. Might have to rewatch the "Supernatural" episodes with the demon virus for inspiration! :) Between the Korean horror dramas anyway..... :mrgreen:
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I haven't forgotten this project, here is one of the narratives from the notes.

Entering "Blue House",Little Seoul's top luxury hotel, Creighton sighed as they went to the restaurant, this was going to be a tough sell, " Anna, we got a job offer from the Korean American Investment Group" Anna's eyes narrowed then widened, not a good sign, The company my family is a major player in, NO WAY!" With Anna's fist centimeters away from his face, Creighton was glad the engagement ring had no large sharp stones, "Anna we need cash, don't assume a Park came halfway across the country to offer us this job!" One glance was enough to dash that notion, KAIG lawyer Sarah Yang, formerly Sarah Park sat at a table with two burly bodyguards standing behind her. Creighton took Anna's hand, Let's hear her out."

Sarah watched her sister and the man she ran away with argue at the door. As they approached, Sarah noticed the knife scars on Anna's arm, the bulges under thier jackets, Creighton's smile and Anna's scowl. "I can tell I need to be brief. We require someone we can trust and Dad wants to make peace with his baby girl. Your cover is the "Prodigal Daughter Returns". Sarah looked at Creighton, "You will go as her bodyguard under an alias. There will be parties, company tours, etc. Further details will be given once you accept....."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

As I develop this first Dark Atlas entry, I thinking of a short adventure to go with it. financial shenanigans lead to twarting a minion plot.