Using the "Computer Operation" skill

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Using the "Computer Operation" skill

Post by Zvezda »

The last time we were playing DC, we came up with the question how to handle computers in the 21st century. When DC was first published, computers became more and more common. Today it is impossible to imagine the industiralised world without them. It is somewhat difficult to gain the "Computer Operation" skill. Attorneys, Bureaucrats or Bounty Hunters for example will have a hard time learning how to use their smart phones to browse the web. There is also a separate "Research" skill for off-line research. However, accessing an archive or library today is impossible without knowing how to use electronic catalogs.
This lead to the strange situation that one of the PC could use his phone to communicate with his fellow hunters but when he tried to use the same phone for online research we learned that the PC did not have the "Computer Operation" skill. It did not cause any problems, all the gamer are seasoned veterans, however it lead to the discussion of how up to date our 1990s games are. I mean we don't need any skills to use phones or even fax machines but to write an e-mail we need a computer skill. This might have been appropriate two decades ago but today's machines are so sophisticated that even children use them regularly. I personally think that every character from an industrialised region can use a smart phone, write e-mails or use online maps and things like that without the need for a specific skill. I am not even sure if EDU is needed for this. So, what are your ideas on the computer age? How do you handle these affairs?
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Re: Using the "Computer Operation" skill

Post by Linden »

I've always regarded Computer Operations as activities like programming and hacking. Things not everyone can do, even though they might be able to use a computer to surf the net, do research or post on a forum. I think Research is a different skill and can include computer and more traditional based searches of books, newspapers and other records. If you want to be generous I suppose you could let the PC use whichever of the skills is highest if the context is appropriate.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I'm the same as Linden, I treated Computer Operation as the skill necessary for hacking, programming, GCI work and so on, people knew how to operate a computer for everyday use but Computer Operation dealt with the more specialized tasks.

When I first ran the game I felt that only Gnomes would have regular access to computers for both work and personal use. Proles would rarely have access other than computers used to monitor them, check their security, purchase/print tickets for public transport etc. etc. and even Mikes would not have everyday use of computers. I thought of Mikes using computers mainly for work with only a few lucky ones having a computer for personal use.

That idea is still valid given the way the setting is presented in the various books but these days I tend to have the game world closer to the real world so computerised technology is more common, even Proles have basic mobile/cell phones.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Mikes in the creative careers might have one, but it would be a lower end model. This means most hackers should come from upper end Mikes, and the Nomes.