A Question a Day #5 - Careers and Character Generation?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

A Question a Day #5 - Careers and Character Generation?

Post by Marcus Bone »

So Dark Conspiracy is full of Careers, from the core rulebook (any edition), through to those added in the various supplement, or even via the variety of fan material out there? What is your favourite, what is your least? Is there a Career you recommend for every play, or some to avoid? Any overpowered, any way too weak to be of use?

Tell me, I want to know :P
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
scottm

Re: A Question a Day #5 - Careers and Character Generation?

Post by scottm »

I got sick of seeing Navy Seal show up in all of my min-maxxed PCs.

As a player, I preferred Bounty Hunter or Private Detective.

Tampete has some fun ones which we found to be worth a play as well. Ballast Point Butcher gangers come to mind, as there's a chance you might die during your first term as part of your initiation rites before even starting play...
"The further I get from the things that I care about,
the less I care about how much further away I get..."

Fear of Ghosts - The Cure
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I am also a fan of the Private Detective career, in fact my very first DC character was one. I based his look and personality on Durkin from the Rutger Hauer movie "Split Second" and it seemed to work nicely :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Best character generation system in the world if you ask me.

I liked the way you could switch between careers after each term - it provided a lot of flexibility in giving players the sort of characters they wanted e.g. one of my players wanted to play a straight to video martial arts star from an outlaw background. Cue terms as biker, martial artist and entertainer. One happy player and some good roleplaying as her character would often be recognised by Mikes and various other tough nuts who'd want her autograph or the DC equivalent of a selfie. Defused quite a few potentially hostile situations.

Also liked how Empaths invariably turned out to be socially inept losers - had two of those, in quite different campaigns. One was a borderline Scanners type substance abusing dribbler, the other a sardonic jailbird.

As GM always banned the Cyborg Escapee character - too way out, and wasn't keen on the baddies taking remote control at inopportune moment.
And how would they get through airport security if the group has to do any foreign travel?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."