A Question a Day #3 - What does DC need more of?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

A Question a Day #3 - What does DC need more of?

Post by Marcus Bone »

So we've briefly discussed some neat and interesting material that currently exists for Dark Conspiracy, but what do you think is missing?

What supplement, guide, campaign idea, or details do you think are missing for the game? If these products did exist, what would they cover?

Think of this is a free thinking exercise - let you're imagination go wild!
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Phulish
Nome

Re: A Question a Day #3 - What does DC need more of?

Post by Phulish »

I believe they exist, but were in the pipeline awaiting something: the gun book and the 3rd ed stuff for ET's, cyborgs and the like. My hope is that you and Morthrai can work up a solution to bring these forth :D
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

As an aside, Morthrai and I worked on a weapons supplement for DC III. As far as I know the book was close to being finished so there's still the possibility that it could be produced. I'm hoping Lee knows more about the current status and whereabouts of the material we had done.

What I think DC really needs/needed
The outer-space section properly fleshed out. In the main book we got hints of space travel and combat and there was talk of a permanent space station but there was never enough in the book for this to be a strong feature of the game. There were even stats for various rockets but really, what was the point in that when there was apparently, nothing to actually use them for?

I ended up buying the outer-space supplements for Cyberpunk 2020 to address this lack of material. It really felt as though this section of DC was rushed out before it was complete. As it stands, the outer-space section of the book is more a teaser than it is usable material.
There's so many things that could have been included, even back in the day when the game was produced there were studies regarding asteroid mining, then there were all those conspiracy theories about bases on the dark side of the Moon and/or bases on Mars, there were the claims about the Black Knight satellite plus the broadening knowledge about mini-black holes and also dark matter & neutrinos.

Some later understandings of the universe to reach public ears could make for some interesting game material particularly in regards to corporate interest in outer-space: planets made of diamond e.g. 55 Cancri e, a carbon planet where it's thought a third of the planet could be diamond material , nebula clouds made of methyl alcohol - the W3 (OH) region of our own galaxy, truly massive clouds of water vapour - a cloud holding an estimated 140 trillion times the total water found on Earth found near quasar APM 08279+5255.
That's just the "natural" stuff we can find in the universe, there's plenty of room for the strange & dangerous of DC to be found there as well...
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Yeah, space and wasn't the DCIII world to be expanded on? There's quite a lot to desire!
scottm

Post by scottm »

Two comments.

1. Yes, a sourcebook for space for DC would be phenomenal. A few new ET races, some Terran bases as well as some ET and dominated ET bases/ships. And an indication of where some of them came from. That said, then space combat and navigation rules would be required and I guess Traveller really does that and this (is usually) not a space campaign. Still, a sourcebook would be a solid contribution.

2. Tim B. in the FB group mentioned sttreamllined combat and I could not agree more. Waaaaay back in 2006, Alex Williamson and I contributed a PDF of homebrew rules for streamlined combat, combat maneuvers, and new poison and radiation rules - 2nd edition was popular at the time and that's what the rules are written for, though they're a stone's throw from 1st edition. I can't upload PDFs here (that I know of) but if anyone is interested in a copy, PM me or email me at scottee.mac@gmail.com.
"The further I get from the things that I care about,
the less I care about how much further away I get..."

Fear of Ghosts - The Cure
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Definitely interested in seeing rules for streamlined combat and new poison/radiation rules. Sending you an email from my gmail account in regards to this.

As another item of interest, I'd love to see all those little articles written up by fans and published in gaming magazines, available in some sort of collection/anthology. There's a few I know of that I simply haven't been able to get such as a supplement to deal with road combat for DC that was published in Vortext magazine in the 1990s (called On A Dark Desert Highway if I remember right).

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Okay folks, this may be a longish post but it's easier than replying to all of the bits of previous posts that I want to address 8)

1 - the text for the DCIII weapons guide was completed as a joint effort by myself and Kevin, and I still have a copy of the completed document. Norm and I were having issues trying to find enough royalty-free images to complete the layout and that was causing the hold-up. At the moment I have no idea what we might be able to do with it as nobody has the DC license, therefore nobody can give us permission and I don't want to step on anyones toes. There was a new space sourcebook in the works as well and it would have been a more important part of DCIII, but I no longer had a copy of it by the time Norm pulled the plug.

2 - The DCIII rulebook was called "Conspiracy Rules" and the worldbook was to be called "Conspiracy Lives!" and was to provide information about the DC world but not completely tied
to the rules. This was to enable it to be used with whatever rules system the GM might prefer. I no longer have access to this either, which is a darn shame because as a generic supplement we could have put it out with no IP problems.

3 - Scott, why not upload the streamlined combat rules that you and Alex put together to the Dark Conspiracy Facebook group Files section? That's totally open to fan material with no problems. When I finally sort out permissions for DC in the Dark Times Fanzine we can polish it up and drop it in there as well! Deal? :)

4 - I also would love to see as much of the "lost" material from long-defunct magazines. I have quite a few myself but even I had never heard of that one Kevin mentioned.

Let's do these things! :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
scottm

Post by scottm »

Certainly. Will do, Lee.
"The further I get from the things that I care about,
the less I care about how much further away I get..."

Fear of Ghosts - The Cure
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

As some random thoughts on the matter...

In regards to royalty free images for the weapons supplement, what sort of images are you looking for? And while the most obvious answer to that question is going to be images of the weapons in question, I'm inclined to think that 3Hombres were looking for something more than just that. There's a few places that use the Creative Commons Licence and a few site authors who allow use of their images with proper credit so it might be worth persuing that course?
I suppose a better question would be, how many images are still needed?

In regards to posting fan material, can I ask that it be posted to other DC sites (such as the Google groups) as well and not just facebook? Some of us don't use facebook and while some facebook groups don't require you to log in, others do and I, for one, am not particularly familiar with which ones do and which ones don't.

It's whether I win...