Phantasm (2010) - free download from DrivethruRPG

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Pennanngalan
Prole

Phantasm (2010) - free download from DrivethruRPG

Post by Pennanngalan »

This isn't a conspiracy/horror game, I know, more like splatter/gore with a conspiracy in the background. Sounds like it might be fun to play once or twice though :D Based on the Cinema6 rules system and the Phantasm horror movies. Here is a link if you want to check it out: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... %282010%29
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Phantasm (2010) - free download from DrivethruRPG

Post by Morthrai »

Looks good for a change of pace. Nice find :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Looks well worth checking out. I remember being scared by the trailer for the film when I was a kid. Seeing the actual movie on late night TV many years later, there was no way it could live up to my childhood memories, but enjoyed it nonetheless - features a DC style protodimension as I recall?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

Yep, there is an alternate dimension which seems to be hostile to life as we know it. These movies are cheesy as hell but I like them (and their ilk)... come to think of it, it has been years and years since I have seen them. Looks like I'll have to find a copy somewhere to witness the cheddary goodness once more :D
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I found it a bit strange though because the guy who wrote Phantasm (2010) regards the movies as grindhouse but I don't think they really fit that category at all. However the game is well done irrespective of what he or I thinks.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:I found it a bit strange though because the guy who wrote Phantasm (2010) regards the movies as grindhouse but I don't think they really fit that category at all. However the game is well done irrespective of what he or I thinks.

I think he's probably a bit closer to the mark with stuff like From Dusk to Dawn. I'd be tempted to run a DC campaign using the Phantasm rules but there seems to be a lot of D20 style feats involved which I've never been a big fan of.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I understand that, I'm no fan of the D20 style feats myself.
In fact I'm no fan of the D&D D20 system at all for modern, near-future, conspiracy, horror or sci-fi games.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:I understand that, I'm no fan of the D20 style feats myself.
In fact I'm no fan of the D&D D20 system at all for modern, near-future, conspiracy, horror or sci-fi games.

I've moaned about this before and am probably in danger of becoming a bore on the subject, but I thought the basic idea behind the D20 system was ok i.e. roll over difficulty to succeed was fine but then it gets buggered up by a whole raft of feats, proficiencies and the like that the player has to keep track of on his character sheet. What's wrong with saying if you're good at something then you have a high skill and/or attribute?

Also not a fan of level based systems generally, and especially not in modern/sci-fi games.
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

I'll agree with both of you on that score. D20 isn't really good for anything but fantasy. I tried the D20 Modern and thought it sucked out loud in vivid Technicolor. I did think that TSR had a winner with the Alternity rules system (after the steep initial learning curve of course), it had an excellent sci-fi vibe to it.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Yes the Alternity rules were quite good, it's a damned shame Alternity never became as popular as it should have. I kind of think that TSR never gave it the love and attention it deserved.
As another whinge against the D&D D20/level up system, I remember seeing the D20 Modern book and checking the combat Feats and not being impressed.

For example, if you wanted a soldier character, then you would not be able to use automatic weapons in auto-fire until you picked up the correct Feat. This struck me as very odd because when I had joined the Aussie Army in 1985, the 2nd weapon I was taught to use in Basic Training was the F1 submachine-gun. You don't need much more than about 30 minutes instruction and a few hours of practice to be decent at using a gun in auto-fire, it certainly does not warrant a Feat.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:As another whinge against the D&D D20/level up system, I remember seeing the D20 Modern book and checking the combat Feats and not being impressed.

Feats in general always struck me as incredibly contrived, and possibly included as a sop to those with a powergamer/munchkin streak. It's a shame that they seem to have migrated to other games - Savage Worlds springs to mind.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

When the whole D20 thing kicked off my mate Andy said it seemed to be turning into a tabletop video game. When the D&D 3.5 modification came along, he showed me in one of the rulebooks it states that the characters should be able to level up each session. Kind of gives it some truth :?

As for Alternity, I liked it a lot.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

That was my opinion of D&D 4th. It plays just like a board game.