Quantum Black - a modern day action-horror RPG

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Quantum Black - a modern day action-horror RPG

Post by ReHerakhte »

Anybody heard of this, or better still, had a chance to read it/play it?
It uses the Ubiquity Roleplaying System (which I have no experience of) and the main rule book listing at RPGGeek places it in occult horror while the bonus DVD sent out to Kickstarter backers places it with Cthulhu Mythos horror. The publisher's webpage mentions "Cthulian monsters" and "other realities bleeding into our own".

This is the blurb from the back of the book as listed in the entry for Quantum Black at RPGGeek.
"Welcome to Quantum Black, a modern-day, action-horror roleplaying game set in a world much like ours. However, hidden supernatural threats are real and growing worse by the day. Evil cults, horrors from beyond time and space, vampires and demons all rise to terrorize this world. Someone needs to stop them.
Are You Up to the Task?

In the Quantum Black setting, you play an employee of Quantum Black, on a secret team out to save the world from the rising tide of unimaginable horrors. Equipped with the best weapons, cutting edge electronics, and a collection of drones, you will board the corporate jet, track the monsters down, and save the day. You’re prepared for anything—or so your bosses say.
Quantum Black is a cinematic, story-driven game that is powered by the lightning fast rules of Exile Game Studio's Ubiquity Roleplaying System. You can have hours of fun combatting cosmic horrors and still keep your sanity intact!

So step into the darkness....We'll be waiting."

Publisher's website - http://www.quantumblackgames.com/

Apparently the PCs are corporate agents so rather than the secret government agency of Delta Green, Quantum Black sounds very much to me, like a cross between Millenium's End and Dark Conspiracy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! Even the artwork reminds me of the scenes used to illustrate DC.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Quantum Black - a modern day action-horror RPG

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 am "Welcome to Quantum Black, a modern-day, action-horror roleplaying game set in a world much like ours. However, hidden supernatural threats are real and growing worse by the day. Evil cults, horrors from beyond time and space, vampires and demons all rise to terrorize this world. Someone needs to stop them.
Are You Up to the Task?

In the Quantum Black setting, you play an employee of Quantum Black, on a secret team out to save the world from the rising tide of unimaginable horrors. Equipped with the best weapons, cutting edge electronics, and a collection of drones, you will board the corporate jet, track the monsters down, and save the day. You’re prepared for anything—or so your bosses say.
Quantum Black is a cinematic, story-driven game that is powered by the lightning fast rules of Exile Game Studio's Ubiquity Roleplaying System. You can have hours of fun combatting cosmic horrors and still keep your sanity intact!

So step into the darkness....We'll be waiting."

Sounds like a very hackneyed setup - been done to death in other games, and books. Not saying I wouldn't play it, but if I liked the background and system I'd probably run it without the QB organisation. I prefer to have my PCs relying on their own resources and wits rather than some dea ex machina organisation lurking in the background to pull their fat out of the fire if things go wrong. I also prefer the way these kinds of outfits are depicted in Delta Green (and to an extent Dark Conspiracy): Big Orgs are NOT your friends. They're more likely to have been infiltrated and corrupted by the monsters and are actively working for the other side.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Quantum Black - a modern day action-horror RPG

Post by Morthrai »

Hadn't heard of this one. Might give it a look over when I have the time.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"