Nemesis ORE

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

Nemesis ORE

Post by Linden »

Was wondering if anyone had played this modern horror game from the people who bought us Delta Green. I downloaded it a while ago and found it rather heavy going. Seemed to me that the laudable intention of keeping things simple with the titular one roll mechanic was undermined by some rather fiddly rules (dodging and “gobble” dice, soft and light armour). However, after seeing the Cthulhulike variant for explicitly Lovecraftian games (with some useful advice for converting from CoC) I am tempted to give it a go. Anybody got any experiences with the game that they'd like to share?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Re: Nemesis ORE

Post by Linden »

As a postscript to the above I tried running a CoC style game with Nemesis and didn't have much luck. After a couple of scenarios self and players came to the conclusion it was well nigh unplayable. Rules every bit as fiddly and counter intuitive as I feared they were.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

That's a shame, especially with it coming from Shane Ivey. Not a system I have any experience of myself but I was expecting it to be easily playable.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

It's got the hallmarks of not being playtested very much, if at all e.g. too many similar skills, body armour useless against all but the lightest rounds, and entirely arbitrary dice pools for spells. The monster stat blocks are also way too big, crowded out with numerous D&D style feats and special abilities plus their dice cost.