Regarding the Future of Protodimension Magazine

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Regarding the Future of Protodimension Magazine

Post by Morthrai »

That is flippin' marvellous news! I'm going to test that out myself just to make sure it works, then spread it via the other social media channels.

Nice one Kevin :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

ReHerakhte wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm Yes, I deliberately chose that title.
While messing about in my DriveThruRPG/DriveThruComics libraries (specifically to re-download the Remnants comic series) I found that DriveThru has not blocked anyone who purchased DC III material from again downloading the item. If you purchased it, you will have to search your library with at least some part of the name of the DC III product.
Great news... and I note with interest the new publisher...
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Marcus Bone wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 pm
ReHerakhte wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm Yes, I deliberately chose that title.
While messing about in my DriveThruRPG/DriveThruComics libraries (specifically to re-download the Remnants comic series) I found that DriveThru has not blocked anyone who purchased DC III material from again downloading the item. If you purchased it, you will have to search your library with at least some part of the name of the DC III product.
Great news... and I note with interest the new publisher...
It says "not available" after I searched my library, but still allows downloading.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marcus Bone wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 pm Great news... and I note with interest the new publisher...
Actually that doesn't surprise me. I would guess that Marc Miller has taken direct control of existing DCIII product (at least temporarily) after Norm reliquished the licence. Maybe somebody else will take it on, but even I have to agree with something Marcus said recently - it does look like Dark Conspiracy might finally be dead :evil:

If so it will continue to live in our hearts and other internal organs! :D
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

What appears to be happening with the DC III products is the same thing I saw with the Twilight: 2013 products after 93 Games Studios could no longer afford the licence for the Twilight: 2000 series. I am pretty sure that, as Lee has mentioned, all the IP for DC III under the licence that Kinstaff Media had, has now gone to Marc Miller/Far Future Enterprises.

That being said, I would expect that sooner or later, all the DC III material will be made available again under the GDW page at DriveThruRPG. That's exactly what happened with the Twilight: 2013 material.
However, it does not mean that Protodimensions will automatically fall under GDW because while we know Far Future put issues of Demonground on the DC 2 CD-ROM, it was only those issues dealing exclusively with DC (issues 1 to 9) and I believe it was more as a courtesy to the fans rather than because of any ownership by FFE of Demonground. As I understand it, FFE doesn't have any IP rights to Demonground so I am assuming the same condition will apply to Protodimension.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

That means all the ready to go stuff can be chucked under the door, get your pitching arm ready Morthrai!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 pm As I understand it, FFE doesn't have any IP rights to Demonground so I am assuming the same condition will apply to Protodimension.
That is correct, neither Demonground or PDM belong to FFE in any way.
Phulish wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm That means all the ready to go stuff can be chucked under the door, get your pitching arm ready Morthrai!
Batter up! :D
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Which all seems to point towards DC III being available again sometime in the future but without any input from Norm there's less hope, unfortunately, for PDM being available again.

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

ReHerakhte wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm Which all seems to point towards DC III being available again sometime in the future but without any input from Norm there's less hope, unfortunately, for PDM being available again.
I'd just pop onto the main site and take a look at the DT menu... but that's just me :P
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

As DCIII was being worked on didn't Marcus have a product concept? I remember someone going for a 6 pack and a .40S&W m1911 clone that could easily be converted to DC.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Marcus Bone wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:55 pm
ReHerakhte wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm Which all seems to point towards DC III being available again sometime in the future but without any input from Norm there's less hope, unfortunately, for PDM being available again.
I'd just pop onto the main site and take a look at the DT menu... but that's just me :P
Well that does make me smile :D
As mentioned before, I have all the PDM issues and I think I have them in three lots of them in separate folders/stashes but I was very much in favour of them being available to everyone and that's exactly what's been achieved now. Nice work 8)

It's whether I win...