Submissions for Halloween Special 2016

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Phulish
Nome

Re: Submissions for Halloween Special 2016

Post by Phulish »

Sent another small work in, hope I was on time!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Sent another small work in, hope I was on time!
It's in the work queue, and I added a picture and a link to a cryptid article about the big fella :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

A bumper issue. Looking forward to reading it in the pub tomorrow lunchtime.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Excellent, I'm quite looking forward to the Halloween theme and the cryptid write-ups by you (Linden) & Phulish.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

ReHerakhte wrote:Excellent, I'm quite looking forward to the Halloween theme and the cryptid write-ups by you (Linden) & Phulish.
I always have more stuff pop into my head after it's submission.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I liked the idea of The Zone being a recurring trope. Zone of Alienation made me think of Hot War which acknowledges STALKER as a major influence.

Bit of a doggy feel to the cryptid stuff by strange conincidence - I wonder if there's a way to combine Phulish's and my respective pieces into a single adventure...hmmm.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I've been intensely interested in the concept of a Zone/the Zone since first encountering it and while game versions are few and far between (the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. computer games - STALKER for ease of typing ! - , the Stalker pen & paper RPG, a few fan-made conversions to pen & paper) there are many other sources of inspiration available from movies, novels and other games (and Hot City had struck me as being eminently suitable, no surprise if STALKER was an influence, I'll have to reread my copy again, I bought it years ago on pdf and haven't looked at it since that initial purchase!)

I'm not particularly satisfied with the way the article layout used some images to break the quote from Nallenon and the first image is a bit too small to really see much of anything. I don't think it helped much with the images having no particular caption to explain them either. However the last image, the body parts sign, (which wasn't one that I supplied for the article so one of you 3Hombres has a sense of humour like mine - twisted!) was a great end point for the article. Body parts from some of the creatures in the Zone are just as interesting to the scientists as anything else and that sign, being so completely mundane, is a great illustrator of the absurdities that could be encountered :shock:
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Linden wrote:I liked the idea of The Zone being a recurring trope. Zone of Alienation made me think of Hot War which acknowledges STALKER as a major influence.

Bit of a doggy feel to the cryptid stuff by strange conincidence - I wonder if there's a way to combine Phulish's and my respective pieces into a single adventure...hmmm.
Dog pack and a were is a Momo buffet! Use two if your PC's are tough. :D