It's Out!

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Phulish
Nome

It's Out!

Post by Phulish »

Downloading PM#20 now! The index looks interesting, so I'm looking at what to do as I ponder my Dark Korea. Just started looking, WOW! This is a great issue! I hope they crew didn't get too many headaches proofing my stuff :lol: .
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: It's Out!

Post by Morthrai »

Here's the official shout-out :D

Greetings all.

We are very pleased to announce that Issue 20 of Protodimension Magazine is now available for download. Protodimension is a free PDF publication focusing on modern and near-future horror and conspiracy genre roleplaying.

You can get a copy from here:

http://www.protodimension.com/zine/?page_id=101

We are seeking submissions for future issues, as usual. If you have an idea for an article or already have something that fits our remit, contact us: submissions@protodimension.com

Cheers!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:I hope the crew didn't get too many headaches proofing my stuff :lol: .
I only had to check with you on that one thing :D
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

You're very gracious, My part doesn't look that nice! :mrgreen: I have a couple of items I'm ahead on, so I'll touch base with you soon!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Awesome. Downloading it now :D
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

At a quick glance, Issue 20 is pretty damned good! I'm liking the preponderance of Dark Conspiracy articles :D
However, something that really shines for me is the The Istrian Affair, because I've never seen the magazine it was originally published in let alone the actual article itself.

Irrespective of how useful The Istrian Affair might be for my campaign, making such articles available to a wider audience is a great addition to Protodimension and if it's possible in the future, I for one would love to see more of this.

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote:Irrespective of how useful The Istrian Affair might be for my campaign, making such articles available to a wider audience is a great addition to Protodimension and if it's possible in the future, I for one would love to see more of this.
That old magazine had several good articles in its lifetime. Back in Demonground days I got permission to republishe the others but it has taken me this long to locate the original author (thanks social media), so the Istrian Affair is the last one :!:

The only other DC material I have never seen are the unpublished articles that were announced in what turned out to be the last issue of Challenge, and it would be way cool to get hold of those! I also believe that GDW themselves had put together an in-house draft of a second edition before things fell apart but I don't suppose anyone but the staff has ever seen that.

I personally am still trying to find a copy of White Wolf 29 just to get Lester's article on Vampires in DC, but at least that was actually published :D
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Ah so there are other articles from "lost" gaming mags lurking in Demonground!
That's good to know so it looks like I have an evening of trawling through my copies of DG ahead of me!
I was, however, thinking to apply the idea to any now-defunct magazines that might have had DC articles in it.

The chances are probably pretty slim of finding many of the authors but if anybody reading this has some old magazines sitting on the bookshelf that might be worth plundering, maybe we can locate some other authors and bring their articles back.
Yeah I know it's wishful thinking but you have to keep your mind open to the possibility, just in case an opportunity is hiding around the corner! :D

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote:I was, however, thinking to apply the idea to any now-defunct magazines that might have had DC articles in it.
I'm not sure if there are any others we missed but if anything turned up I certainly would be tracing the authors. I have some material downloaded a while back from a couple of websites that no longer exist, maybe I could start chasing some of those people :)
Last edited by Morthrai on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Great minds think alike!
Last night I was pondering the idea of maybe publishing material from now-defunct websites. :D

As for the magazines, because there have been many gaming mags and ezines over the years from the UK and USA, there's probably quite a few articles that some of us have never seen, simply because those magazines were not available to us (or sold in such tiny numbers in other countries that we never encountered them). I was thinking that between all of us, we might know of some now-dead mag that had articles of interest that the rest of us might not have seen.

I know in Australia there was less than a handful devoted to gaming with Australian Realms being the standout from that tiny lot, though I don't think Australian Realms had anything for DC. The articles mainly focused on AD&D with a few here and there for Call Of Cthulhu, ShadowRun and the like. However, Australian Realms got harder to find over the years and I don't know when they stopped publishing. I certainly didn't have all the issues although I had tried to get them. The upshot being that in the later issues, I don't know if they ever had any DC or other horror/technothriller game articles - so maybe there's a little project for me!

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I'm still trying a few projects, both gear and adventures! I hope issue 21 is also a large one! The defunct stuff is good to revive as well!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

There were ads in the back pages of Challenge for a DC fanzine called Dark Times, which I never saw but someone sent me a few scans from an issue. Seemed like decent stuff and I wonder if that could be traced.
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

A brief search of the net shows pretty much nothing for the Dark Times ezine. Looks like it'd have to be traced the old fashioned way, e.g. trying any of the contact details related to it and hoping one of them is still valid...

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I sorta remember that ad, It was in the Dead tree days and would have been harder to aquire so I didn't try.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Hmm this is weird, Linden's post about the Istrian Affair scenario and my reply have both vanished off this thread without any interference from an admin...most odd :shock:
Lee Williams.