"You're Nicked!" - MiniSix setting

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

"You're Nicked!" - MiniSix setting

Post by Linden »

I've had a go at doing a British 70s cop show setting for the MiniSix rules. Inevitably it uses a lot of the same concepts as Precinct 77 but I hope it's different enough to be more than just a pointless rehash: Britain in the 70s was often a grim, grotty and paranoid place and this was reflected in our cop shows. I've tried to reproduce some of that feeling in "You're Nicked!" while retaining the fast and furious mood of the MiniSix rules .

Any feedback, good or bad, please feel free to post.

Download "You're Nicked!" from here.

Cheers

Linden
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: "You're Nicked!" - MiniSix setting

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hey Linden,

This looks really good. I was just waxing lyrical over Life on Mars, and this is exactly the sort of game that I think would run it (yep, I see you list it as inspiration :P)

I'll pop up a report if I get to run it at some point!

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Cheers Marcus, a play test report would be great.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of LoM. Great production design but I thought the scripting was incredibly shoddy. Gene Hunt is something of folk hero in the UK these days but I always found him too much of a bully to be likeable. Jack Regan is still the guvnor as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, for some true contemporary post-modern weirdness check out Gangsters. Starts off as a conventional hard boiled crime series and changes into something truly strange with kung-fu assassins, a French Connection style drug ring, the cast breaking the 4th wall, and multiple appearances by the writer. It doesn't always work (the last few episodes with the WC Fields inspired "White Devil" are very hard going)and it suffers from cheese paring production values but there's never been anything quite like it on British TV before or since.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
tadkelson

Post by tadkelson »

The show Gangsters sounds interesting. Of course I have no way to find it here.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

tadkelson wrote:The show Gangsters sounds interesting. Of course I have no way to find it here.

Here you are Tad: This should hopefully get you started.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I really enjoyed reading the setting though I doubt I'll run it any time soon. The list of terms has been very helpful.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:I really enjoyed reading the setting though I doubt I'll run it any time soon. The list of terms has been very helpful.

Cheers Zvezda, I probably won’t be running it myself anytime soon either. It originally grew out of a Sweeney style Cthulhu campaign I was planning (hence the supernatural content of a couple of the "case files"). It never got off the ground though because of my regular group imploding. Having done a fair amount of research I wanted to do something with it, so writing up a MiniSix setting seemed the natural choice.