Assistance Needed Please

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Assistance Needed Please

Post by Morthrai »

I am working on something for the upcoming revamp and I am slightly stuck...I need a convincing name for a futuristic military aircraft. It doesn't even need to be in English 8)

Anyone got any ideas?
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Pennanngalan
Prole

Re: Assistance Needed Please

Post by Pennanngalan »

What role does the aircraft fill? That would help with the naming conventions (for me anyway). Just off the top of my head (using birds of prey), how about:

Accipiter - Accipiters or true hawks inhabit forests and have short, broad, round wings and a long tail to produce quick, maneuverable flight.

Bateleur - Serpent or snake-eagles mainly eat reptiles and carrion.
The lower legs are not feathered and are instead covered by
armor-like scales that help protect them against snakebites. If the main opposition the aircraft will face is named after reptiles (just a thought)

Harpy - Forest eagles live in tropical rainforests, and include some of the largest and most powerful eagles. Their lower legs are not feathered, and they have broad, rounded wings and a long tail for maneuverable flight. A big, well armored and maneuverable troop carrier type maybe.

That is it from me for now.
Last edited by Pennanngalan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Given modern aviation's occasional recycling of WW2 names (e.g. Thunderbolt and Typhoon) and DC's inherently retro style, how about a blast from past? Tempest or Whirlwind strike me as suitable (probably not Welkin though :wink:)
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Well, the Russians name everything "Project" followed by a number. Like "Project 626" for the never build transport Submarine. If the project earns an official nickname it is almost always a destructive force of nature, like lightning, thunderstorm, whirlwind and so on. Or animals like sea wasp or bear. Depending on the role and the weapon's attributes. And they are named in honour of their developer like Kalashnikov (AK-47), Nikonov (AN-94) or MiG (Mikoyan-and-Gurevich).
Germans on the other hand prefer the destructive powers of nature like Tornado. Or they come up with really convincing names like: "Euro Fighter" hell no serious GM would name an European fighter plane "Euro Fighter". If you want to go back to the more sinister times the tendency was to use abbreviations like Stuka for Sturzkampfflugzeug or dive bomber. Always with the number and the name of the producing company, Junkers Ju 87 in that case.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:If you want to go back to the more sinister times the tendency was to use abbreviations like Stuka for Sturzkampfflugzeug or dive bomber. Always with the number and the name of the producing company, Junkers Ju 87 in that case.

German would sometimes adopt the convention of giving aircraft animal names e.g. the He 219 Uhu ("Owl") or Me 410 Hornisse ("Hornet").

I think with recycled names a "II" suffix is sometimes added to make it clear it's the second aircraft to bear that name e.g. the F22 Lightning II. Not sure if that's universal though.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I decided to go with Bateleur, it's just unusual enough for most people to be unaware of and sounds slightly exotic 8)

Thanks to Pennanngalan for that!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

:mrgreen: Awesome! :mrgreen: