Bladerunner 2049

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

Bladerunner 2049

Post by Linden »

You all planning to see this then?

I think I'll give it a go. I'm not over enamoured of Ridley Scott's films these days, but the involvement of Villeneuve is encouraging. Saw "Arrival"* recently - a good piece of thoughtful sci-fi which hopefully promises something similar for the Bladerunner sequel.

*(incidentally the Heptapods reminded me of DC's Tentacle ETs, but a lot friendlier).
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: Bladerunner 2049

Post by Marcus Bone »

Linden wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am I think I'll give it a go. I'm not over enamoured of Ridley Scott's films these days...
My thoughts exactly... what is with all the sequels and reboots, not to mention all the [insert noun]-verse stuff. Why can't people create new stories that aren't IPs or Brands!

Sorry - off on a rant :P
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Marcus Bone wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 am
Linden wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am I think I'll give it a go. I'm not over enamoured of Ridley Scott's films these days...
My thoughts exactly... what is with all the sequels and reboots, not to mention all the [insert noun]-verse stuff. Why can't people create new stories that aren't IPs or Brands!

Sorry - off on a rant :P
No worries mate, completely agree. For what it's worth I didn't reckon much to Alien Covenant.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

One of the early talking movies was a remake of "The Great Train Robbery", Hollywood always has a period of dullness where all they can do is copy.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am For what it's worth I didn't reckon much to Alien Covenant.
I still haven't made it through Prometheus yet! :? However, I am looking forward to 2049.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 am
Linden wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am For what it's worth I didn't reckon much to Alien Covenant.
I still haven't made it through Prometheus yet! :? However, I am looking forward to 2049.
Great first half, then devolves into a mixture of silly horror movie cliches and all out incomprehensibility. Covenant is just a Friday the 13th film with pretensions, and nice set design.

Phulish, I'm sure you're right. We do seem to be going through a particularly fallow patch though.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Well, I'm the odd-man-out.
I like Prometheus, the name itself and the fact that it's a retelling of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" made it for me.
I also like Alien Convenant.
I also like Arrival.
I plan to see this new Blade Runner as well.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 am Well, I'm the odd-man-out.
No reason why we should all like the same things, we have enough interests in common after all :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Morthrai wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:20 am
No reason why we should all like the same things, we have enough interests in common after all :D
True that. It would get awfully dull if we all liked exactly the same things in exactly the same measure! :lol:

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I like Prometheus, the name itself and the fact that it's a retelling of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" made it for me.
I also like Alien Convenant.
I also like Arrival.
I plan to see this new Blade Runner as well.
I liked American Gangster - his last good film for me. He makes decent films when he's got a decent script to hang the pictures off. Words and that aren't really his forte.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

--- No spoilers but plenty of opinion ---
Just come home from seeing Blade Runner 2049. I liked it a hell of a lot even with the need to please the modern audience by following a formulaic police procedural style and having an "exposition guy". I think for those who grew up on films from the last millenium, it's a straight forward movie without the need for the exposition but I think the "modern" audience will see it as being subtle and need someone to tell them what's going on.
And the sound was too damned loud in some places and I'm sure that's not just because I'm getting old!

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:44 pm
And the sound was too damned loud in some places and I'm sure that's not just because I'm getting old!
I think cinema sound has been getting progressively louder over the years. I remember coming out of the cinema after seeing Demolition Man in 1993 feeling like my inner ear was resonating. Conversely I'm finding a lot of TV drama is hard to hear because of mumbled or badly recorded dialogue. The first episode of "Electric Dreams", UK Channel 4's series of Philip K Dick adaptations, is a case in point: Couldn't understand a word and by the time I'd figured out the sub-titles on my mum and dad's TV it was too late - totally lost by then. A shame because it looked great - very retro urban in the Dark Conspiracy vein. Would probably have made a nice taster for the new Bladerunner film as well. I may give it another go when it comes out on DVD.

Don't have a problem with Bladerunner 2049 being a police procedural, that's what the old one was after all. :wink: