2300AD

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

2300AD

Post by Linden »

I was thinking of running a game of this with my group at some point. Don't want to shell out for the Mongoose Traveller core book+2300AD supplement. Just wondering how user friendly, or otherwise the GDW 2nd ed was. I briefly skimmed the combat system and it made my brain hurt. Does it perhaps play better than it reads? Be obliged for any thoughts or advice you might have.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Re: 2300AD

Post by Phulish »

It never really jived with me. Maybe if they had released the political game so you could base it off your T2K game world.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

For me this would be an occasion where I would be tempted to take the setting and use whichever ruleset the group is most familiar with, or at least consider doing so.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Morthrai wrote:For me this would be an occasion where I would be tempted to take the setting and use whichever ruleset the group is most familiar with, or at least consider doing so.
Me too. This is one of those occasions when I'd throw together a quick set Mini-Six mechanics.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Never played with the 2300 rules but my group did examine it when we were looking for a sci-fi rpg many years back.
The main thing about the rules that struck us was the obvious connection to the Twilight: 2000 (T2k) & Dark Conspiracy rules. I believe the 2300AD rules are the parent of the rules used in those later games so for us they seemed a bit backward and clunky but it also made converting the game to the newer T2k rules easier. Having said that, if you're not a fan of the T2k Version 2.2 or DC 2nd Ed. rules then it's probably more satisfying to ditch the rules completely and just use the background.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Thanks everyone - I checked out a few other boards as well and the general consensus from posters appears to be great setting, duff system, so use your own. I did run a MiniSix Cthulhu Rising game a couple of years back. I think I could probably make use of the material I wrote for that - minus all the mythos stuff of course.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."