Thinking Out Loud...

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Thinking Out Loud...

Post by Morthrai »

Hi all, hope you don't mind me "thinking out loud" here :)

I fear that my gaming brain is starting to stagnate. I haven't played any RPGs or boardgames since Continuum back in August, either in person or online via Roll 20 or equivalent. The local RPG club meets on the same evening and the same time as the local boardgaming group, and I don't know which to try first. Several of my local area friends are gamers but so far it's not been possible to schedule something that we can all attend at one time. My creativity is also on the go-slow at the moment and I'm damned if I am going to give up and only play & GM material written by other people (nothing wrong with that of course, but I want to get some words of my own out!)

Okay, I admit that covers more than one specific area but I lumped them together as it's all to do with gaming. The question I am pondering is should I find some people first to game with, or try breaking my creative block?

Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Re: Thinking Out Loud...

Post by Phulish »

Which could help? New material for a group or a group creating new material. Could refining old stuff inspire you're creativity?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Which could help? New material for a group or a group creating new material. Could refining old stuff inspire you're creativity?
I reckon my first step is finding a group to play or GM for, or just to boardgame with - I'm no gaming snob after all :) In reality it all depends on which presents itself first: in-person tabletop RPG or boardgames, online RPG or whatever else. Just need to DO something! :D
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Been looking in Demonground, could your original London stuff be refreshed and a short adventure added? Your weapon stuff is there, is this your ET stuff? Can we help with suggestions?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Been looking in Demonground, could your original London stuff be refreshed and a short adventure added? Your weapon stuff is there, is this your ET stuff? Can we help with suggestions?
Primarily I am more interested in finding some people to game with rather than reworking old material. There again, I have considered polishing up that Republic of Britain stuff and would almost certainly use it if it was I running a game :)

My writing problems have always been either creative block, self-doubt, or laziness - any one of which can lead to the others happening. I just want to do some gaming really but it's choosing the best path that's tricky. I will work it out 8)
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Oh man I hear ya'!
It seems these days I've practically got to have inspiration smacked into my forehead with a length of 4x2 before I can write up anything.
One the actual gaming front, fortunately one of my friends is running a ShadowRun campaign at the moment although we are waiting for one of our group to return from India (where he was sent by his workplace for a five weeks).

The problem I do have (aside from breaking out of writer's block) is that some of the guys I game with have a different preferred game style to me so it can get intensely frustrating for me when I'm getting right into the story and one of the other players is just "gaming his character sheet." I'd rather not game sometimes than game with people who want to run the game mechanically like they were following a flowchart. So in short, yeah I can sympathize, finding a gaming group that you mesh with can be quite a problem even with all the forums, websites and so on in existence.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Since I'm still horrid with online maps, I've come up with using an urban myth book for murders by Darklings for Protodimension Magazine. The author contacts the PC's who must use the book to find the locations and stop the killers. GM's can use their campaign setting and decide the myth locations. Perhaps the myths were based on previous incursions and could create a gate. Also using DC1's Protodimensions to flesh out Hunters and Empathic Cells. Inspiration can come from anything, keep trying! :wink: