Joe Dever

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

Joe Dever

Post by Linden »

Don't know if any of you were fans of the Lone Wolf game books in your youth, but author Joe Dever has died at the age of sixty:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1 ... ever_dies/

I remember the Lone Wolf books as credible alternatives to Fighting Fantasy for the neophyte gamer stuck on their own with no group to play with. I always preferred their combat system which gave you a chance even against really hard enemies. Contrast with FF where a warrior with 7 skill up against a Pit Fiend might just as well pack up and go home.

Looks to have been doing Lone Wolf stuff right up to his death, and seems to have had a pretty good career in an industry that's more than a little precarious at times.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Joe Dever

Post by Morthrai »

Joe and Cubicle 7 ran a successful Kickstarter for the Lone Wolf Adventure Game, a full RPG based on the books. I saw some of the FB posts during the campaign and the creation of the game, and he was always genuinely pleased that it had got off the ground at all. If anyone's interested the details are here: http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lone-wo ... ture-game/
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Geez, he was still young!
60 years old is not old at all.
Just goes to show that even in this day and age with all the modern medical techniques we have in the Western World, problems still occur. It's a damned shame that it happened to someone who still had plenty of years of life before him.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:Geez, he was still young!
60 years old is not old at all.
No great age at all.

I never met him, but was saddened to read of his death. I'd count him as a formative influence on me as a gamer, even if only in a small way. The Lone Wolf books deserve praise for trying to do something a bit different with the solo adventure book format.

I'm a hopeless figure painter but used to enjoy his Tabletop Heroes colum in White Dwarf as well (which I think he co-authored with one Gary Chalk?)
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."