2016 Movie Madness Marathon

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Morthrai
Site Admin

2016 Movie Madness Marathon

Post by Morthrai »

Hey all, I have decided to run a shorter version of the Halloween period Movie Marathon this year. This is mainly because I haven't been paying too much attention to catching up with films old and new so I didn't think I would have a long enough list.

First up, an old fave that I hadn't seen in years - Love At First Bite. For me it is still the best Dracula spoof, although I must admit it's so firmly rooted in the late 1970s that I could feel my shirt collar growing larger by the second - and I wasn't even wearing a shirt :twisted:

"In 48 hours we'll be back here with trampolines, parallel bars, swings, and Nadia Comaneci - DON'T be here!"
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Re: 2016 Movie Madness Marathon

Post by Phulish »

I've been watching "Ash vs. The Evil Dead" at Amazon, Ash and party are very PCish.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:I've been watching "Ash vs. The Evil Dead" at Amazon, Ash and party are very PCish.
I really must catch up with that! 8)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:
Phulish wrote:I've been watching "Ash vs. The Evil Dead" at Amazon, Ash and party are very PCish.
I really must catch up with that! 8)
I've been watching while polishing ideas. The country side one is extensive, looking for a breaking point to divide it. The city one is coming along, say do you have the stats for the S&W M1917? Shot one a week ago and they are nice, gentle recoiling weapons in a decent caliber! A good option versus wrist breaking magnums. This was an original, but Smith & Wesson brought them back. Sorry to get distracted, The computer makes hunting obscure movies last seen as a child possible. There is one where a neuropath like individual is trapped on an island with a tar monster I need to find.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:I've been watching while polishing ideas. The country side one is extensive, looking for a breaking point to divide it. The city one is coming along, say do you have the stats for the S&W M1917?
Keep hacking away at the adventures, and yes I am sure those stats are kicking around somwhere. I'll dig them out :)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:
Phulish wrote:I've been watching while polishing ideas. The country side one is extensive, looking for a breaking point to divide it. The city one is coming along, say do you have the stats for the S&W M1917?
Keep hacking away at the adventures, and yes I am sure those stats are kicking around somwhere. I'll dig them out :)
Thanks! I'm trying.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Second movie for this year's Marathon, Super Hybrid features a killer car with a mind of its own. Whilst benefiting from more modern filming techniques and containing more tension than "The Car", it's not really any better than that almost-classic 70s cheesefest :D

After vampire comedy and a machine gone crazy, tomorrow's choice is probably going to be an actual classic horror film - stay tuned!
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:Second movie for this year's Marathon, Super Hybrid features a killer car with a mind of its own. Whilst benefiting from more modern filming techniques and containing more tension than "The Car", it's not really any better than that almost-classic 70s cheesefest :D

After vampire comedy and a machine gone crazy, tomorrow's choice is probably going to be an actual classic horror film - stay tuned!
You could throw in "Devil Dozer"! The original "Piranha" as well! The remakes SUCK!!!! And I'm being kind and avoiding violation of language COC.

:D
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marathon Movie #3 is the Hammer classic "The Devil Rides Out" because it was about time I watched it again - been a while :)
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

You might try "Impulse", the 1984 movie. A woman in a small town witnesses strange behavior among her neighbors after an earthquake. It would spoil the movie to tell how it can relate to Dark Conspiracy. :D
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Keeping things light for Marathon Movie #4 - another one I hadn't watched in some time was The Stuff. If you only watch one mid-80s anti-consumerism spoof that rips off "The Blob" and "X - The Unknown" then make sure it's this one :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marathon Movie #5 was that old favourite Quatermass and The Pit (aka 5 Million Years To Earth). Nothing better than half of the human race going bonkers after discovering their true origins against a backdrop of 1960s London.
Poor old Colonel Breen! :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marathon Movie #6 is another one I hadn't seen in some time. Razorback is a tale of a giant carnivorous boar wreaking havoc in the Outback, with British comic Tony Hancock's former sidekick Bill Kerr leading the fight against this porcine threat. Another one of those movies that proves Australia could always make movies at least as well as anybody else, even when it's a creature feature :D
Lee Williams.
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Morthrai wrote:Marathon Movie #6 is another one I hadn't seen in some time. Razorback is a tale of a giant carnivorous boar wreaking havoc in the Outback, with British comic Tony Hancock's former sidekick Bill Kerr leading the fight against this porcine threat. Another one of those movies that proves Australia could always make movies at least as well as anybody else, even when it's a creature feature :D
Just finished looking at a pic of an Aussie spider carrying a mouse, THAT needed killing with fire! :shock:
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

:D
I'm a member of a net forum called Quora. It's a place where people can ask questions and generally get them answered without all the crap that occurs on many other forums.
One of the most memorable questions I have seen on Quora was someone asking (paraphrasing) "How do people in Australia cope with all the dangerous animals and insects?" There's a strong perception that we are surrounded by lethal wildlife and to be fair, we have played up on that a bit... okay, a lot!
We really do have a large collection of harmful wildlife and are listed as the country with more species of venomous snakes than any other place in the world but it's no more dangerous than living in Africa.

Having said that, I have personally encountered venomous snakes many times and in cities, not simply out in the bushland. At my last workplace we had venomous snakes come into the building during breeding season, specifically Tiger Snakes and Dugites both of which can be lethal. The last one I saw was in 2013, it was a Dugite about 1.5 metres long (almost 5 foot) that decided to slither under one of the cars in the carpark and go to sleep. There was a decent stretch of undeveloped land on the left side of my former workplace, lots of tall grass, ideal place for animals to avoid people and thus a great place for those same animals to breed.
The company closed down in mid-2014 so whoever has that particular piece of real estate now will be having the normal Australian summer breeding season problem with snakes. We always knew when the snake numbers had increased because we'd see a lot fewer small animals (i.e. rabbits, bandicoots and so on) in that stretch of land.

One of the family cats was killed by a Brown Snake, another one of our venomous snakes that can prove dangerous to humans. And to be clear, I live in the suburbs, not on the outskirts of the city.
When I was still in the Army Reserve my unit was shadowed by some feral pigs one night (maybe not as large and ferocious as Razorback from the movie but still dangerous, as dangerous as alligators and crocodiles particularly as they are a lot more curious). In some areas, when on training, some NCOs are authorized to carry live ammunition to deal with feral pigs, water buffalo, feral camels, crocodiles and so on (depending on where in Australia they are training).

My father was in the Aussie Army and told me that when he was a junior officer (back in the 1960s), he had to co-write a report on a young soldier from his unit who had died as a result of a snake crawling into his sleeping bag when they were training out bush. Apparently he moved and disturbed the snake which bit him several times. He was dead before anyone knew what had happened and they only found out when they tried to remove him from his sleeping bag and the snake crawled out.

There's a good list on the Australian Geographic site of our top 30 most dangerous animals
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... he-top-30/

A bigger threat in Australia is the environment. Many tourists do not appreciate how large the country is, how small the population is in relation to that and how bare of resources the land is (both natural and manmade resources).
For example, the city I live in, Perth, is the capital city of the state of Western Australia. Perth is just over 2000km (1240 miles) from the nearest capital city, Adelaide in the neighbouring state of South Australia. 2691km (1672 miles) if you stay on the roads.
And in all seriousness, you might travel through maybe 20 to 25 towns in all that distance.
Dark Conspiracy adventures in this part of the world are as much about surviving the environment as they are about surviving the ministrations of the Dark Ones.

Australia is almost as large as the United States in terms of landmass but has a population of 23 million (as of 2013). The US state of Texas has a larger population than Australia but in a landmass that is nearly 3.6 times smaller than my home state of Western Australia. Western Australia has a population of around 2.6 million giving us a population density of about 1 person per square kilometre - so if you do go out into the "outback" make sure you are properly prepared. You can't walk to the nearest farm, road, river or railway like you can in Europe, the distances are too great.

If you do get into the shit in the outback, then to quote a song, "If you go out to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise." The lack of population means it could be days and sometimes weeks before you're found. You will be found... eventually. Whether you're still alive is a matter of how well prepared you were and whether you tried to play any games with the wildlife.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...