FATE

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

FATE

Post by Linden »

Was pondering over whether to buy this. The latest version is out in hardback for what seems to be a fairly reasonable price. Anyone got any thoughts on how suitable it might be for horror gaming?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Pennanngalan
Prole

Re: FATE

Post by Pennanngalan »

My group and I played Fate Accelerated for the first time last week. I ran The Terror Train from Demonground 1 for their introduction to the world of Dark Conspiracy, it was the first time either have taken a trip to DC and both found it quite enjoyable. The system was a great fit, thus far.

In a couple more play sessions we will be moving over to the full version and I will update my opinion when we do.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Pennanngalan wrote:

In a couple more play sessions we will be moving over to the full version and I will update my opinion when we do.
I'd be interested to hear how it goes. I'm running a DC campaign at the moment (my third) and much as I love the setting would prefer to use a system that was a bit less rules heavy.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

You can get the Core rules and Toolkit PDFs on RPGNow for free, if you want to look it over before I get my group transitioned.

That was the only reason we are trying it, and I liked what I read enough that I went ahead and bought a hard copy :roll:
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

Ok, this evening will be the first game using the full version of Fate :D

I'll try to get my initial thoughts posted in a timely fashion :wink:
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Look forward to it!
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

Based on the game last night, my initial verdict is: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I admit that I went into the session with a little trepidation, the Fate Accelerated version played like one of the Saturday Morning cartoons of my youth. Think 70's era Superfriends, if you are familiar with that particular show. If not, just rest assured that the pacing was too fast and the problems/threats evaporated almost immediately once the players took action. I will take the blame for that, since that is what the Fate Accelerated rules "feel" like when you (I) read them. :oops:

The larger Fate Core system did not have that feel to it. It was as easy to deal with, for players and (fairly inexperienced) GM both, as the lighter FAE game but it had the pacing and more serious tone of a crunchier system. I quite liked it!

We picked up a new player last night. This fellow has just started role playing games, back in March when a new brick and mortar shop opened in his home town. The only game he has had access to is D&D5e. His character was up and running in less than 30 minutes and before the evening was out (about 3 hours and 15 minutes with one combat encounter), he pretty much had the system down. That was much easier than the D6 system ever was, and the dice rolling was resolved much faster. Another bonus in my book. One note though, creating and converting creatures is not as easy as it is with the D6 system, yet. I do expect that it will become second nature soon, there is just a steeper learning curve and I have only made two conversions thus far; the Feral Drowner (Pwca), from The Book of Unremitting Evil (nasty as hell and not yet encountered) and Roosevelt and Judy Flyte, the cyborg couple from GDW's Among the Dead adventure (the only combat encounter from last night and it was a blast!).

The system of Aspects, compels, invocations, and Fate points was a little daunting at first, I admit. After an hour or two of FAE (Fate Accelerated), everything clicked into place and became rather easy. This carried over to Fate Core readily (it is the same system, after all). It works and I actually enjoy the "Fate point economy", something I was sure would not be the case since I am the GM. Live and learn, they say... :D

The starting characters in the Fate system are more capable than equivalent characters in Dark Conspiracy (unless they start at age 50 - 60 with many career terms in the character's bag). The characters in Fate are supposed to be competent, dynamic, and proactive. I don't find this to be a problem since that is what I always thought Dark Conspiracy characters to be. They all strike out on their own (or small groups) to face the dark on it's terms, with little or no support (in my game anyway). Characters should be a little exceptional, in my mind, given the sacrifices they have decided to make on the behalf of humanity. Others may feel differently about this and adjustments to make the game more grim or gritty are readily available.

I like the system, the relatively light rules allow for fast action and resolutions to problems without a lot of numbers-crunching and all the while being mostly unobtrusive to the fun. Other light systems (I have just about all of them that is available on RPGNow)have a problem with being too vague with how some of the game elements work. I was worried that such an instance would occur with Fate but I have not experienced this and nothing I have read indicates that it will be a problem in the future. After the game we had last night, I will be keeping this system around: it is good fun!

My favorite moment so far is the moment the Flytes revealed themselves to be a threat. Judy was a hefty old broad in a flowered mumu (she answered the door when the players knocked). The old man, Roosevelt, was sitting in his recliner with a walker and tea service in front of him. After a few minutes of small talk and getting the players comfortable, Judy offers to fix them some tea since she and her husband had just sat down for the same. Everybody was happy to have some.

While Judy was away, the players broached the subject of the child the Flytes was on record as adopting. Roosevelt told them, in no uncertain terms, that he and his wife had not applied to adopt any kids and that he thought the matter had been cleared up when the well-meaning nurse showed up a few weeks earlier. While they were discussing Annya, Judy returned with another tray of tea and some sugar cookies for the players.

When she heard the topic of discussion, Judy exclaimed "Oh my! The lovely young lady who came to visit a few weeks ago... sweet girl she was, though a little confused." and sat the tray on the coffee table. Judy then popped her finger blades and proceeded to emulate Freddy Krueger on one character while Roosevelt lifted himself up onto the arms of his chair and threw a Sagat kick into the face of another (Street-fighter reference) :twisted: Stunned silence greeted these events. Finally, one player said "Really?!?"

It was a moment of beauty :mrgreen:
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Thanks for the very comprehensive write up.The full game sounds like an interesting system, and I like the idea of a set of rules that emphasise character and don't have too much number crunching. I dread running things like vehicular combat in DC because of the amount of dice rolling involved or having to break the calculator out if there's a collision. Usually I just fudge it and do what seems right at the time.
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

Glad I could help :) I have been looking for a new system to use with the Dark Conspiracy world for quite some time myself.