Documentary on Nazi Weirdness

For administration notifications, messages and important site announcements
Linden
Darkling

Documentary on Nazi Weirdness

Post by Linden »

For those of us in the UK this might be worth a watch. Could feed into a Delta Green or Cold City game.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Re: Documentary on Nazi Weirdness

Post by Zvezda »

Great! Nazi Occultism is always related to my interests. I have no doubt that the film will be on youtube a week later.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Great! Nazi Occultism is always related to my interests. I have no doubt that the film will be on youtube a week later.

There's some great stuff turns up on Youtube, often hard to find anywhere else. Currently on my to watch list are Split Second, which I've not seen for years, and biopic of Glaswegian hardman Jimmy Boyle "A Sense of Freedom" in the original Scots dialect.

Slightly more on topic there's Jerry Building, Jonathan Meades' documentary on the architecture of Nazi Germany which touches on Nazi occult beliefs and features a segment filmed inside Heinrich Himmler's toy castle. Meades' presenting style isn't to every one's taste, his voice often has a braying quality, but I always enjoy his programmes. There's nobody else quite like him on British TV.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Great, thank you. Jimmy Boyle sounds good I think I'll have a look. Youtube is great. I once even found the original Stalker movie there. It really is a treasure trove for films on everything. Jonathan Meades seems okay to me so far. I think there is nothing worse than German post-war documentaries on the third Reich. Well probably German wartime documentaries on the third Reich. German documentaries are very strange. Nominally they are required to condemn fascism, which they do. A lot. Like in: Don't try this kids it is very, very bad. But on the other hand the nazi party seems to have had 13 members at the peak of it's power with most of them being Austrians. And boy, the Germans did suffer from the British bombings...more than anybody else in the world.
Руки Вверх!
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

The documentary is good. I also like his style of presentation. It is entertaining but has not too much of a clown. He is also more empathic to the victims than German presenters. Which is a good thing. Thanks for posting.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:The documentary is good. I also like his style of presentation. It is entertaining but has not too much of a clown. He is also more empathic to the victims than German presenters.

I think he's good on the sheer crankishness of Nazi beliefs, and how what's usually termed "the banality of evil" operates in practice e.g the cottages for concentration camp guards where they could go home and eat dinner with their families "as if they'd just done a normal day's work, which of course they had." Chilling stuff.

There's a sort of sequel "Joe Building" about Stalinist architecture. Not quite in the same league but still worth a watch.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yes, exactly that. It is really strange how normal evil can become.
Руки Вверх!