Minion Hunter review

For administration notifications, messages and important site announcements
Linden
Darkling

Minion Hunter review

Post by Linden »

An interesting read. I always quite fancied playing this but not so sure now. The Nukids seem a spectacularly rubbish adversary given some of the other choices on offer.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: Minion Hunter review

Post by Marcus Bone »

To be honest there is no real difference between the four Dark Minion Adversaries. You could have called them potatoes, beans, forks and spoons for all it affects game play.

While I was pretty harsh on the game, mainly my weighing given its age against boardgames, it could easily be a great one. Just a few tweaks (which might end up being big ones once you go through the knockon effects).

Thanks for reading!
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marcus Bone wrote:While I was pretty harsh on the game, mainly my weighing given its age against boardgames, it could easily be a great one. Just a few tweaks (which might end up being big ones once you go through the knockon effects).
It just so happens that long-time Dark Conspirator Kevin Buchanan is currently working on just such a task. For his own amusement he is modernising and generally tidying up Minion Hunter, and we should be able to highlight his efforts in a future edition of Protodimension. Should be interesting to see how it turns out :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Marcus Bone wrote:To be honest there is no real difference between the four Dark Minion Adversaries. You could have called them potatoes, beans, forks and spoons for all it affects game play.
I suspected that might be the case, but purely on aesthetic grounds one of the other nasties would have been better. As I recall the Nukids in the RPG aren't even that malignant, more victims than monsters?

Interesting to read about Kevin's project. Is he going down the boardgame or computer route?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote: Interesting to read about Kevin's project. Is he going down the boardgame or computer route?
Boardgame route. He has already redesigned the cards and is currently reworking the board.
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:
Linden wrote: Boardgame route. He has already redesigned the cards and is currently reworking the board.
Again, very interesting. Is he planning on doing a hard copy production run for sale? Just wondering about the IP/licensing issues Marcus mentioned in his original article.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:Again, very interesting. Is he planning on doing a hard copy production run for sale? Just wondering about the IP/licensing issues Marcus mentioned in his original article.
Definitely not, it's just a personal project. We might get him to detail his changes in a future issue of PDM so people can try it out for themselves but that's most likely about as far as it will go.
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: Definitely not, it's just a personal project. We might get him to detail his changes in a future issue of PDM so people can try it out for themselves but that's most likely about as far as it will go.
That's a bit of shame - I've seen some of those old GW games like Fury of Dracula being given a new lease of life. Pity something similar couldn't happen here.
KeiBu

Post by KeiBu »

Hello Chaps.

This is the aforementioned Kevin Buchanan and I'm humbled to see you have been talking about my (still ongoing) little side project.

As it stands, the cards have been laid to rest and the board is 90% done (barring some tidying and tweaks). It definitely remains a personal project but I'll be happy to share when it's finished.

That said, the more I've ploughed through the game, the closer I've come to completely regenerating a similar game, but with a (hopefully) tidier core and with a couple of the broken elements repaired (in a recent play through by friends, one of the group got trapped in the hospital for over half-an-hour of play, a dead-end situation similar to one which keeps me from truly enjoying Arkham Horror).
Welcome to the Kevolution.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Good to see you back on here sir - viva la Kevolution! 8)
Lee Williams.
KeiBu

Post by KeiBu »

Glad to be here, it's been a while but I thought I should return to my roots.
Welcome to the Kevolution.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I think you blokes should all be greatly afeared - with KeiBu here there's now TWO Kevins on the forum. I think that puts us at a 100% increase over any other name here 8)
Viva La Kevolution indeed!

From, the other Kevin :lol:
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote:I think you blokes should all be greatly afeared - with KeiBu here there's now TWO Kevins on the forum. I think that puts us at a 100% increase over any other name here 8)
Viva La Kevolution indeed!
Given the physical distance that separates me from both of the Kevins nowadays, it's funny to think I have met both of you in person! There again KeiBu is from the UK :)
Lee Williams.